• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Instant pot appreciation day

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
i love ❤ mine. I cooked red beans in it today but they got mushy. I’ll make another half cup tonight for 30 min instead of 41.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have an Instant Pot that I got for Christmas. It seemed like such a good idea at the time! I love the ss bowl instead of teflon or non stick. I have used it only once to make sweet potatoes. I need to research some recipes! It's super popular in my eating community of low carb/paleo.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have an Instant Pot that I got for Christmas. It seemed like such a good idea at the time! I love the ss bowl instead of teflon or non stick. I have used it only once to make sweet potatoes. I need to research some recipes! It's super popular in my eating community of low carb/paleo.
Those mushy beans looked so good to me but I don’t know how to season them for me. I slow cooked bird grains last night. They turned out well. Hope you find recipes out there that you like, there seem to be a bunch.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Isn't insta pot just a pressure cooker? Are there any differences?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Isn't insta pot just a pressure cooker? Are there any differences?
Plus it can slow cook steam has a timer and does a bunch of other functions ...oh yeah makes yogurt.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@saroj12
You could make refried beans with the smooshed beans. Then Make a burrito with cheese, and veggies.

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@saroj12
...or make bean “burgers”... serve with avocado on a Kaiser bun...even better, a brioche bun!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Saroj when you say you don’t know how to season the beans for you - do you like spicy or....?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
OK.... if you started with sautéing onion/garlic/pepper and it wasn’t spicy enough, try this:

I am figuring the amounts for a ‘large’ pot of beans. You can adjust accordingly.

2 T chili powder
2 t cumin
1 t paprika

You could also throw in a small can of chopped green Chile’s or just chop up a poblano pepper.

Sometimes instead of all that I add a can of fire roasted tomatoes, or a can of garlic/basil something tomatoes. I also use something called “Lawry’s 17” instead of salt - it’s a bunch of herbs and you can really pour it on for flavor. But this last paragraph is all me, I am happy with things less spicy!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Spicy....way more than 2 tablespoons of Chili powder. I kept adding chili powder to the last batch of Instant Pot vegetarian chili I made. I lost count on how much I added but it still wasn't spicy enough. Should have added some cayenne and chopped up jalapenos. A ghost pepper might have done the trick (pass on the ghost pepper). :D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks Tanya! Have to buy onions and garlic though we have dehydrated chopped from Penzey’s. Will that work?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Spicy....way more than 2 tablespoons of Chili powder. I kept adding chili powder to the last batch of Instant Pot vegetarian chili I made. I lost count on how much I added but it still wasn't spicy enough. Should have added some cayenne and chopped up jalapenos. A ghost pepper might have done the trick (pass on the ghost pepper). :D
Omg! You really like it hot!:D

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Omg! You really like it hot!:D
I was joking about the ghost pepper but for some reason I could not get the chili spicy enough. I was going to run out to the market and get some jalapenos or serranos but decided just to keep adding chili powder. I don't think I would want to get near a ghost pepper. I've tried to cut down on spicy food because my digestive system and really hot foods don't get along well any more.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I was joking about the ghost pepper but for some reason I could not get the chili spicy enough. I was going to run out to the market and get some jalapenos or serranos but decided just to keep adding chili powder. I don't think I would want to get near a ghost pepper. I've tried to cut down on spicy food because my digestive system and really hot foods don't get along well any more.
Well, you are making me very hungry! I had a ww wrap with butter for dinner lol. Now I want some real food!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, you are making me very hungry! I had a ww wrap with butter for dinner lol. Now I want some real food!

Is that a weight watchers wrap? I would probably be hungry after eating that. Have you tried the "Sweet Earth" burritos? They are vegetarian although some of the breakfast ones contain eggs.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Is that a weight watchers wrap? I would probably be hungry after eating that. Have you tried the "Sweet Earth" burritos? They are vegetarian although some of the breakfast ones contain eggs.

I’ll have to look for that brand. Ww is whole wheat :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@saroj12 I don’t know if dehydrated will work, I assume so. Have never tried it. I’m all about experimentation though!

@iamwhoiam HOW OLD is that chili powder? LOL You sure you weren’t using paprika???