• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Injured Parakeet Leg

BirdsFL90

Checking out the neighborhood
This is a young parakeet, I'm not sure if the vet would do anything for it, there was a metal ring around his leg. During removal one of his toes got clipped off, the ring clogged his leg and he can barely use it, by the time i removed the ring it was too late.

The bird is eating fine etc, but can barely stand.

I was looking for some type of bird medical splint of some kind.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Your bird really is best to see the avian vet for painkillers and also possibly the correct sort of antibiotics.

Having any part of your body removed while awake and without serious pain relief and antibiotics is bound to hurt more than one can imagine- your bird will be in a blinding amount of pain.

In the future if you ever have a bird with a band you want removed it really should be done by a qualified avian vet so as not to break or injure the leg which is usually the what happens when the band removal is done at home.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I agree, a veterinarian would be able to provide pain relief. Antibiotics decrease the chance of a bone infection developing which can be life threatening. Most antibiotics aren't expensive

I e had to have bands removed by veterinarian, sometimes bands do cause issues. They have a special tool, I don't believe I was even charged anything extra to remove it, just the cost of the exam