• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Injured Dove

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Guys, I need your help!
I just picked this little thing from the side of the road.
photo.JPG
She was in the bike lane and was not moving when cars were driving by. I made a u-turn and went to check. She was in the sun, hot pavement, with eyes closed. I picked her up, and she struggled just a bit. Her feet are really red. She has a pea-size scab under her right eye, and no fight fathers on the right wing. So probably something attached her on that side. I think it's a baby.
I think she has control of both feet and wings, and she resisted. Her feathers are falling out when she moved in my hand.
I managed to get a little bit of water into her, and tried to clean up a bit the scab with a wet cotton swabs.
She is in my bathroom in a box covered with towel on top. I don't know what else to do for her tonight. It's Sunday, and all places would be closed.
I hope the wild life center will be open tomorrow.
Help! :(
@Birdbabe

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She is in a box covered with towel on top in my bathroom. I don't know what else to do for her tonight.
She needs food and water, (give her luke warm water with honey) and a silent area to rest in. That is all you can do at the moment.
Can you make some formula and hand feed her that will be the best. She looks very young.
Thanks for helping her! ♥

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
warmth, liquids, quiet. you can also try a little moisten whole grain bread with warm water and honey.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
I would check for lice and mites too, just to be on the safe side...

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Warm, dark, quiet. Try dipping her beak into water to get her to drink. Handle her as little as possible, in case she has internal injuries. She looks like a young Mourning dove. She's dropping feathers from stress, hope the wildlife rescue is open tomorrow. Thanks for helping her.

zvezdast

Avenue Veteran
Thank you all! :heart:

I put two bottles with hot water under the towel on either side of the box and let her rest. She still had her eyes open 30 min later.

Someone on our local lost and found page suggested I take her to an emergency animal hospital, so I did. They said they will do what they can, and if there is a quality of life there, the wildlife center will pick her up in the morning.
I am hopeful, as she didn't look worse after an hour.

They can do more for her than I could.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you for helping her, I hope she will be okay. Will they give you an update on her?

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Glad to know she's going to a wildlife center! Do you know what it was called? (I'm a rehabber too)

zvezdast

Avenue Veteran
Thank you for helping her, I hope she will be okay. Will they give you an update on her?
Just called for an update. She made it through the night, and the wildlife is picking her up this morning!
Glad to know she's going to a wildlife center! Do you know what it was called? (I'm a rehabber too)
I didn't ask too many questions, since they seemed pretty busy (I imagine ERs are often that way). I am guessing it's mourning dove. They are very common in Texas.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for helping the dove.