• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Injured Bluebird!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianimal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
I was outside and I saw a bluebird hopping around, he looked like he wasn't able to fly, I quickly swiped him up so my cat couldn't get him. We think he ran into the window. I think his left wing is broken. I feel no abnormalities in his wing but it is limp and he cannot use it. Please help! I have him in a shoebox with a towel in the bottom.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He may be a baby.

Can you post a picture of him?

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
The animal rehabilitation center "is not accepting birdsat this time" because of lack of staff

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
He isn't a baby, his right wing can fly perfectly but his left droops and drags the ground, im trying to get my camera to work, when i can ill get pictures up. I have a friend who has helps birds for over 50 years, hes not a vet but hes really knowledgeable im trying to get him but all im getting is an answering machine

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
If the wing is broken, it needs to be seen/set by an avian vet or it will not heal properly and the bird will never fly again. Many of the vets in my area will so this free of charge if you are willing to place the bird with a wildlife rehabber. This is not something that you can do yourself.

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
That is my problem, we don't have a rehabber, they used to take birds but now they refuse to

If the wing is broken, it needs to be seen/set by an avian vet or it will not heal properly and the bird will never fly again. Many of the vets in my area will so this free of charge if you are willing to place the bird with a wildlife rehabber. This is not something that you can do yourself.

spookylicorice

Meeting neighbors
That is my problem, we don't have a rehabber, they used to take birds but now they refuse to
In my city, in addition to the official wildlife rehab there is a network of people (they're usually licensed, but not listed) that take in birds or small animals and take care of them. Could you call the animal rescue place back and ask if they know of any people or places where you could take the bird instead? It seems like even if they can't take your bird they would still like to help or tell you about other resources. Good luck and I hope the bird will be okay!

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
I call every number i could find, the main animal centers gave me other numers, and the other numbers gave me more numbers, i called everynumber i found one person said due to a health crisis she cannot take birds, another said she couldnt take birds ant this time the rest of the numbers had been disconnected or said that they wouldnt be able to take birds anymore.
This morning the bird was dead. Im really disheartened. I cant believe that no one would take it in. Everything i heard said "do not feed or give it water" I'm sorry but i didnt want the bird to die of starvation or thirst, so i put 2 pickle jar lids out, one with meal worms one with water. I know you arent suppose to feed it but i had the little guy for two days!
I buried him, i wish i could have known what was wrong, if it was stress, or some bigger internal issue. I feel like i failed, knowing that it died in my care.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I'm sorry :( Also sorry you weren't able to get more help on how to make him more comfortable here.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Don't feel bad. When the little guys get injured, there is usually internal damage as well that is not as visible as the broken wing. They are not like the bigger guys. On the bigger ones, depending where the break is at, the wing can be pinned. But it is not possible with the little birds and they don't usually do very well when injured. You did everything you could for him and that's what counts.

brianimal

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
Thanks, i feel a little better knowing it may not be my fault, I think its time our family invested in some of those window clings that birds see before they run into it. I dont know if that was the cause of the injury but about every day we hear a bid hit the window, most fly off fine, there have been a few we saved, and a few not so lucky.. i just wish i kneew how the bird got hurt so i could fix whatever went wrong :(

Status
Not open for further replies.