1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Injured Beak

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Abbie, 2/28/18.

1. Abbie

Abbie Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

Abbie
    Max was playing on his cage just a few minutes ago and decided to try to fly to us. He had a pretty hard landing and we noticed blood dripping down his beak. I got the bleeding stopped and he appears to have very slightly cracked the very tip of his beak. He seem ok but keeps shaking his head from side to side like it is bothering him or causing him pain. Is there anything else I need to do or anything I can do to make it more comfortable for him???

faislaq and finchly like this.
  2. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Vendor

Tanya
    Is there an emergency vet for night time?

faislaq likes this.
  3. Abbie

Abbie
    Closest avian vet is 3 hours away. I live in a very rural area where there are no emergency vets at all that I know of.

finchly likes this.
  4. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Vendor

Tanya
    K I don’t know about beaks but I’m sure someone will come along. So sorry!

5. Just-passn-thru

Just-passn-thru Rollerblading along the road

Suzanne
    That happened to my Bentley bird the MM2 . He broke/ chipped the tip of his beak . Is there any part hanging? if there is you could try remove the broken piece if it just a small chip. The vet gave me metacam for pain. Other than that just have to let it heal on it's own if only a minor chip , it may be sore for him to eat until it heals over. Offer soft food in case its sensitive to use beak for cracking hard foods. It's like tearing a fingernail

Tiel Feathers, faislaq and finchly like this.
  6. Abbie

Abbie
    There really is only a very tiny crack on the inside of the tip that doesn’t even go all the way across. He is not shaking his head now and seems ok just doesn’t want to use his beak for anything. I went ahead and gave him a comfort hand feeding which he seemed to love and isn’t shaking his head anymore and appears happy. I will take his pellets out of his cage and just feed him soft chop for the next couple of days. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything else I needed to immediately do before calling his vet in the morning. Thank you guys!

faislaq likes this.
  7. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

He might need something such as metacam for the pain. Do check and recheck the beak to make sure that it doesn't start bleeding again. You can moisten and soften his pellets with warm water. Hope all will be well. Poor guy.

faislaq likes this.
  8. Just-passn-thru

Just-passn-thru Rollerblading along the road

Suzanne
    He'll be ok it does hurt though, my avian vet said they don't get infection from that kind of injury, only if it was a serious damage to the tissue where the beak is connected to the head like a beak ripped off .

faislaq likes this.
  9. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    janicedyh likes this.
  10. alshgs

alshgs Rollerblading along the road

Mine got bit a few weeks ago by a larger bird. Our vet just gave us some pain meds, but that the crack would grow out. He was fine after a few days! Do you have pictures?

11. Abbie

Abbie
    Thanks guys! He is in his cage sleeping now! I just checked on him and there is no more bleeding and he is acting fine other than not using his beak to climb around. Will continue checking him through the night to make sure the bleeding doesn’t start back and call the vet in the morning to see if he wants to see him or if he thinks he needs meds for pain. I really think he is fine but I’m just such a worry wart!

Just-passn-thru and Lady Jane like this.
  12. Abbie

Abbie
    No pictures but will try to get one in the morning. The crack is so tiny it may not even show up in a pic!

Just-passn-thru likes this.
  13. Erikalynnha

Erikalynnha Jogging around the block

Erika
    Sprinkle alittle cayenne pepper on his food it will help with pain.

Eta: use on veggies/ fruit and mix it up so the powder isn't inhaled easily.

Last edited: 2/28/18
  14. MiniMacaw

MiniMacaw Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month BINGO CHAMPION

Lisa
    My macaw came to me with a severe beak injury. A full grown macaw had bitten down on his baby beak and crushed it in all the way in the middle. Knarly wound and made me so upset that I wasn’t there to get him pain meds when he surely needed them but it has healed just fine.

15. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Give him warm soft foods for a couple days ,,you can pack some cayenne pepper paste on it to help .

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  16. HolliDaze

HolliDaze Jogging around the block

Machelle
    Oh no! Not max! :(
    This reminds me of the bite I got from Dexter the other day. He put a"hole" (more of a line) in my nail. It bled a little bit, but the pain stopped a couple hours later. My finger was still sore around the hole for a Few days, pressure made it hurt. It's probably similar to what max is going through. If it is, the pain will be gone soon and he'll be fine.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)