• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Injured beak- lovebird

theheroes

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Nikolai
Hello, People.
One of my lovebirds has injured its beak a long ago and still can't heal.
The name of the poor creature is Piumpi. It is so nice bird. I had a post explaining the whole story of the fight etc (Lovebirds' adventures | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum But the sad result is that the beak of Piumpi is injured already 5-6 months :o:. It is a big red bloody injury in the middle of the beak taking about 30% of the whole beak. I took it to an avian vet and they told me that it will heal by itself, but 3-4 months later there is not any progress. Piumpi looks happy and playful btw. But what should I do for the poor creature... I am desperate already thinking to take it to a human dentist to build its beak like a tooth :) I dont know.. Do you have experience with beak injury that does not heal well?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry to hear about Piumpi. Hopefully others will have suggestions. Have you recontacted the vet and told him it still hasn't healed?

@Birdbabe ? @Hankmacaw ?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Can you show us a picture?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
So sorry about Piumpi's beak. It sounds painful and dangerous. Can you please post a closeup of Piumpi's beakd.

Infection is one of your biggest worries with the beak wound - has he been given antibiotics or has it been cleaned?

Yes, if a beak wound is deep enough a veterinarian will reinforce the wound with plaster. But you need a veterinarian to make that decision.

See if you can post a picture and maybe we can help you.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have worries it's not healing in 3 to 4 months, as the beak continues to grow out. The wound would move closer to the end of the beak. A pic would help, but a vet appointment would be better

theheroes

Real Name
Nikolai
I will try to take a picture of the injured animal later today. Btw the injury is not moving. I dont know if the beak is growing or not, but the beak is not moving down as I am expecting too. I dont know... maybe it is infected so not healing, but if it was infected Piumpi would not look so happy and maybe would look in pain and it doesn't. I asked the vet if that may be an infection or something (fungal or bacterial or anything). But he said it is not - it would look different if it is and that is a pure injury. But I don't know. Btw Piumpi is a female and her man started to cheat on her as she is so ugly with the broken beak, the male is now feeding the other female and Piumpi is shouting and has panic attacks when she is seeing that gross situation... :D

theheroes

Real Name
Nikolai
Is it possible that it is just very old and her the healing abilities are gone.

theheroes

Real Name
Nikolai
Here is the Piumpi beak IMG_2815.JPG IMG_2815.JPG IMG_2818.JPG

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
In that first picture her beak looks far too long - it needs a trim. The wound almost looks fresh, in that it is red and open. Does she demonstrate that it is painful Does it openly bleed? Is she showing any other symptoms?

BTW - beaks don't grow down. They grow outward from a base under the keratin cover.

If it has been red and raw all of this time, have you considered the possibility of a tumor. She really, really needs to see a vet that knows what they are doing.

theheroes

Real Name
Nikolai
hmm they look scared in the picture but I let them fly and they spread wings and feed each other they are very nice creatures. I dont know is it possible that it is just very old, because I took 3 of them out of 100. How do they age, are there any such signs?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's impossible to tell the age of birds without specific facts.