• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures [Infographic] Comparison of Foraging Devices

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
I wanted to give back to the avian community (I have been a long time lurker) so I created an infographic based on a 2013 foraging study. 11 different foraging devices are compared in the scientific study.

I tried embedding the infographic but it was impossible to read (blurry and super long). If someone has a suggestion for posting infographics please pm me and I will edit this post.

For the full Infographic please visit my blog.

The 11 foraging devices studied:

I have a couple more infographics in the works so I would appreciate any feedback!

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Very interesting. I can say my IRN took to the cardboard box foraging fairly well. It doesn't surprise me this provided more foraging time in African Grey parrots that were observed either. My IRN's favorite is the 4 way forager but it doesn't take long for her to get her "prize" that way.

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
I don't think the results are really surprising to parrot lovers but I did enjoy reading the study.

I tried the 4 way forager myself but Bingo decided she disliked having to move the flat plastic covers out of the way and proceeded to neatly chew them off the metal links. So it became cups she could eat out of which did not really promote foraging as much as I would like :p

The only foraging device Bingo will cooperate with is cardboard or paper hiding treats so I was pleased to find out it is considered a top foraging device.

Each parrot is so different!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I like the pinwheel toy but to add more time to it, I try to put more obstacles in there than food. For example, I put in a lot of barrel beads or similar sized flower beads so that he doesn't always get the food.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for sharing.
As for #5, not hard at all for Keno, my Goffin's, but then she's a Goffin's. She can open that treasure chest in a few seconds.

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
Peachfaced - that is a clever idea, adding the non-food items in with the pinwheel. I think that counts as 2 foraging devices then!

As for your Goffin - I assume she could just unscrew the screws on the toy if you forgot the key to the treasure chest...

I think there is a reason that Cockatoos are rarely used in any of the studies I looked at ;). They are too good at ignoring obstacles and would, I presume, ruin many of the carefully planned tests. It seems that African Grey parrots and Amazon parrots are the two types of parrots most commonly studied.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As for your Goffin - I assume she could just unscrew the screws on the toy if you forgot the key to the treasure chest...

I think there is a reason that Cockatoos are rarely used in any of the studies I looked at ;). They are too good at ignoring obstacles and would, I presume, ruin many of the carefully planned tests. It seems that African Grey parrots and Amazon parrots are the two types of parrots most commonly studied.

Yes, she probably could do that. She loves to take things apart. My BFA, Casey, has a treasure chest, too, and he can also open it although Keno opens hers much much faster. Also Keno is more interested in it whereas Casey likes to put toy parts together rather than take things apart/unscrew things.