• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Info about Illiger's Macaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatherina

Hit the Road
I got to handfeed two at the rescue when i was out of town. They were so funny running across the floor like little puppies and so cute as babies. I have been offered to take one two times now and have really thought about it and then was like Noooooo i'm not ready right now. My good friend breeds them. Such cuties and so much fun.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is Patrick nippy at all? From what I've heard mini macaws are more nippy then the big guys. Not sure if it is true.
Oh yes, it's true in general. Patrick is not terribly nippy, but he's a mini, and minis will be minis :D . He has nipped me but not very hard. He's got a gentle nature and has never bitten me (yet). He's a baby, though, and has plenty of time ;) . I don't mind, because I know how they are and love them anyway :heart:

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole

Oh yes, it's true in general. Patrick is not terribly nippy, but he's a mini, and minis will be minis :D . He has nipped me but not very hard. He's got a gentle nature and has never bitten me (yet). He's a baby, though, and has plenty of time ;) . I don't mind, because I know how they are and love them anyway :heart:
Ha ha I see. ;)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
oh.. I'd just like add that I think it's terrible that he'd rehome the one who was in his home first before rehoming the new addition. Terrible. Yes, this is simply my personal opinion.:(
I agree with you.
Unfortunately, I've seen this happen many a times before, and normally, the "newer" bird is a bigger/flashier bird. And possibly still a young one so still rather sweet.

Oh yes, I agree. I doubt a bird that unusual will last long.

Saemma, I'm surprised he's rehoming the bird at all. Placing them in separate rooms seems a more reasonable approach if they can't get along :confused:
Some people can't be bothered with trying out logical solutions. Sad really.
Makes you wonder how much they really care.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Regarding nippiness. I was very concerned about having to deal with this and really had had no idea where to start. I must say that Mabel (severe macaw) is rarely nippy. I think part of the reason with this is because thanks to Holiday and Mercedez I made it a point to become very acquainted with her beak. In fact I am NOT afraid of her beak at all today. Not even a bit. I even ordered an aviator harnes and plan on making her my first guinea pig.:D
Mabel really is a low maintenance bird never mind the fact that she happens to be a mini mac. Sometimes I wonder whether I lucked out or whether I really have done well.:huh:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mabel really is a low maintenance bird never mind the fact that she happens to be a mini mac. Sometimes I wonder whether I lucked out or whether I really have done well.:huh:
I would say 1) she's still young 2) you're a great bird mom! :hug8: 3) she may be just a touch sweeter than some other minis. Gender may play a role as well. I'm sure there are exceptions, but all my minis are little dudes, and they are not as affectionate as some of the girls on the board (or my own large girls), I've noticed.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I agree with you.
Unfortunately, I've seen this happen many a times before, and normally, the "newer" bird is a bigger/flashier bird. And possibly still a young one so still rather sweet.

Some people can't be bothered with trying out logical solutions. Sad really.
Makes you wonder how much they really care.
It really is a sad situation. If things had not worked out with Mabel thenshe would have been the one to leave to a more appropriate home. Not Sachi or Emma.:(

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yes, I meant to ask you yesterday. How much bigger is Patrick when compared to a Noble Macaw? Trying to figure out whether he is bigger than Sachi but smaller than Mabel?:cool1:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yes, I meant to ask you yesterday. How much bigger is Patrick when compared to a Noble Macaw? Trying to figure out whether he is bigger than Sachi but smaller than Mabel?:cool1:
He's definitely smaller than Mabel :) Hmm, a Noble is slightly bigger than a Hahns, but usually not a hundred grams bigger, more like 30 or 40 grams bigger, so something like 190 grams. Patrick weighs 250 grams, so he's bigger than a Noble.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
They are beautiful. I did not know they had the little red patch on the front.
They are the only minis that do, kind of like miniature Militaries, LOL.

Yesterday, Zoe was on her stand looking down at him and telling him to watch out and saying "step up." I think she was trying to get him to climb back up off the ground. :D He completely ignored her, though, since he was doing manly things ;)
I tell you, Zoe is something else with her speech... :eek:

I assume they are still difficult to find in Canada? Gorgeous macaws!!
Fairly difficult although I've seen them offered from time to time.

I haven't kept up with the availability of Illigers here, but it's likely they are still rather hard to find. Same with RFM. There might be a few breeders working with this species in Canada, but we certainly don't see them offered for sale (yet).
BTM and especially RFM are more difficult to find but that may change this decade (hopefully) as more breeders acquire pairs. I know Longo's has at least one pair because he wrote me that he did and that was 2 years ago. There were others who had birds but they sold them and don't know if they went to other breeders.

I don't think I've ever seen a RFM for sale here.
Illigers, I've seen a few adds throughout the years but definitively not too common yet.
Same here, although this is the second Illiger's I've seen being rehomed in Quebec since the end of winter - unless this is the same bird being rehomed by different people (hope not).

There was a RFM in Quebec owned by someone in the MTL area who apparently imported his bird from NY. He posted about his RFM at the old forum but since rehomed him.

I'm sure Titanis will post a bit more on this thread. Yesterday with his help Natacha ambushed me with the link of a illiger's macaw in quebec who is being rehomed because his owner got another parrot and now it's *war* between the two of them.

I think illigers parrots may be more common than we think in Quebec but of course I could be very wrong.
There's a breeder in Quebec, and undoubtedly the reason they may be more common in that province. Regarding the ad, I remember reading about the conflict between the owner's new bird and his Illiger's. It also bothered me he's rehoming the older bird. I guess he has good reason...?

oh.. I'd just like add that I think it's terrible that he'd rehome the one who was in his home first before rehoming the new addition. Terrible. Yes, this is simply my personal opinion.:(
It's my opinion as well, but in truth, it's sad any bird has to be rehomed due to a conflict. I wonder what the new bird is species-wise; I was going to reply to the ad just to find out more info about the situation between the birds. :shrug:

We spent a long time trying to find an Illigers, but that was quite a few years ago. I'm sure there are a few breeders in Ontario or Quebec, but have never seen them for sale here in B.C.
I only know of three breeders and all are in Eastern Canada, but aside from Longo's not sure if the others are still in business:

Longo's Aviaries
Keller's Aviary in Toronto: budgie4@hotmail.com
Oisellerie Bergot in southern Quebec: info@oisellerieberjot.ca

Saemma, I'm surprised he's rehoming the bird at all. Placing them in separate rooms seems a more reasonable approach if they can't get along :confused:
Yup, but who knows his living conditions. Maybe he's living in an apartment and both birds are excessively loud...? I'm almost inclined to contact him and find out the reasons.

Not considering. I have only had Mabel for 7 months and you guys all know how slow I like to take things. :D Thoughts of quarantine and adapting to a new flock dynamic also gives me a major head ache.
No need to rush into something so soon after bringing Mabel home. If you don't have the feeling to bring any new bird home, best not to do it until you're finally ready. :)

Holiday, I have sadly realized that *we* on here are not the norm.:( There are LOTS AND LOTS of parrots living in conditions and environments that we'd think are sub standard.
Absolutely. The members here are not the norm by any stretch. Otherwise, this seller would have been here already. ;)

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

He's definitely smaller than Mabel :) Hmm, a Noble is slightly bigger than a Hahns, but usually not a hundred grams bigger, more like 30 or 40 grams bigger, so something like 190 grams. Patrick weighs 250 grams, so he's bigger than a Noble.
He really is a smallish chap.:) How's his flying skills? Is his tail VERY long too?:)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I tell you, Zoe is something else with her speech... :eek:

Titanis, I can hear her right now in there talking to him. Can't tell what she's saying, but she's chatting up a storm. Maybe I should go set up that camera, eh? :) If I do, though, she'll probably clam up :rolleyes:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Oisellerie Berjot is no longer in business.
The breeder I'm getting my Cape from has a pair, might be the pair from Berjot as that is where he got his Capes from, but they've been unsuccessful at producing Illiger babies. Eggs yes, but no viable one. He has a list of theories as to why that might be and is hoping that with proper care they might one day produce babies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He really is a smallish chap.:) How's his flying skills? Is his tail VERY long too?:)

Yes, he's on the small side :) His tail is just now starting to come back in, and yes, his longest feather is in now and pretty long--and the most lovely multi-colored shades that fade one into another, like a sunset over the ocean :heart:. Most of his tail feathers were broken off when I got him. His wing feathers were horribly clipped as well and are also just starting to come back in. He's starting to look quite handsome, if I do say so myself :) .

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The breeder I'm getting my Cape from has a pair, might be the pair from Berjot as that is where he got his Capes from, but they've been unsuccessful at producing Illiger babies. Eggs yes, but no viable one. He has a list of theories as to why that might be and is hoping that with proper care they might one day produce babies.
Does bad nutrition has anything to do with whether eggs are viable?:huh:

TITANIS

That explains why Bergot never responded to my inquiries about HH. Oh well, it's difficult to be a breeder in these times. :( I guess they must have gone out of business quite a few years ago, then, if your breeder has had his Capes for some time? :huh:

Ah yes, It's true I remember that your breeder has a pair of Illiger's. I think my breeder info needs updating, LOL... :o:

Last edited:

TITANIS

Titanis, I can hear her right now in there talking to him. Can't tell what she's saying, but she's chatting up a storm. Maybe I should go set up that camera, eh? :) If I do, though, she'll probably clam up :rolleyes:
Please try if you can. That would be extremely interesting. Despite her sometimes feistiness, I find Zoe to be a remarkable macaw. :heart:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please try if you can. That would be extremely interesting. Despite her sometimes feistiness, I find Zoe to be a remarkable macaw. :heart:
She's one in a million, I'd say--of course, I'm biased! :D But, I wouldn't trade her. She's got the most personality of any bird I've ever seen.

I'll try to get video soon :)

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
BTM and especially RFM are more difficult to find but that may change this decade (hopefully) as more breeders acquire pairs. I know Longo's has at least one pair because he wrote me that he did and that was 2 years ago. There were others who had birds but they sold them and don't know if they went to other breeders.

I'm sure that BTM's will be more readily available in Canada soon enough. There are 4-5 BTM pairs here on the Island; I think they have produced a few successful clutches. At least that's what we were told.
Hope your prediction regarding RFM happens! They are such beautiful macaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.