• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indirective training

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just wanted to start a conversation about indirective training.

Echo has surprised me twice today by following commands i use for the dog.

I was playing with the dog and we were doing fetch and then drop commands. Echo of course was watching us like a hawk because i was asking the dog to bring me all the scattered coloured cups on the floor that are his (too tired to bend down myself). Later that arvo he was playing with a pair of small scissors and me again a little lazy kept saying to echo to drop it. Well I'll be damned he actually listened. Then listened again when he was playing with something else. Normally once something gets in that beak you have to chase him round house and wait for him to drop it on his terms.

He was also asked to hop out of a room hes not allowed in. It holds a big bag of unshelled almonds. Echo has helped himself to that bag on a few occassions. Today even though beak was about to take one he hoped out of room when asked.

Has anyone else had their eckie follow commands that they used on their other pets?

Hes only 21months old. Like what else should i be teaching him? What have you taught you eckie? These guys are way smarter than i ever anticipated.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ooo they are sooo smart! That is also an example of social learning I think. Such smart and wondeful creatures!:heart: