• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian Ringnecks

IndianRingnecs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brian
Hi guys. Im going to buy an indian ringneck soon and on top of all the research, I'd like more info by indian ringneck owners. Just stuff like how to care for them, what to feed them etc. I love reading long things so a long answer is great! I also would like a suggestion for the cage! I'll spend around 150 on the cage though. Thanks and I look forward to your answers!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue.

IRNs are intelligent, independent birds.The cage that you get for them must be as big and as wide as possible. They tend to be very proud of their long tails...but that doesn't mean that they won't keep from smacking that tail into the sides of their cage! So the wider, the better.

They love to fly...please let them retain their wings to do so! A happy bird is one that FLIES!

Being intelligent and very curious, foraging toys are encouraged...our IRN loved shredding toys. and because they're so smart, they need a wide variety of different toys, etc to keep them occupied.

Most IRNs don't really liked to be touched much...but they do like hanging around with you. They can become very devoted to their people.

Our IRN was fed a 70% pellet, 10% seed, 15% veggie 5% fruit diet. These are rough estimates...we also would give our IRN pasta and rice from time to time. Nuts (almonds) were a treat.

We had the pleasure of having Titan, our IRN, in our lives for 26 years. He had a wonderful demeanor...bright and cheerful. He was definitely a non-touch bird...but would hang out with you all day, all the time begging for kisses. :)

He NEVER bit a soul in his life...and was our first "birdie ambassador"...making countless visits to schools, nursing homes, etc. He brought joy to so many people. :heart: