• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Incoming BHC

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Reasons for a night cage:

- It gives the parrot another place to be; i.e. It breaks up the monotony of the day cage. Instead of being in their main cage 20 hours a day, and out 4 hours a day, they are now in the main cage 11 hours a day, night cage 9 hours, and out 4 hours a day.
- It puts the parrot on the same schedule as you. If I did not have them in night cages, they would be calling me as soon as the sun rises, when I am not ready to get up.
- There is some comfort in having them nearby at night. Sometimes they softly call to me and reassure them back. I think it really enhances the flock mentality.

A couple things to remember - always have fresh water in the cage. If they are in the night cage for an extended period or time, I would put a small cup of seed also. None of my parrots will go potty in their night cage. They all hold it until I get them out in the AM. I carry them (sometimes urgently) to the toilet or trash to go potty. All of my parrots have something soft in their night cage to snuggle with or in, depending what their preference is.

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
I had two but one passed away a few months back. So far Scooter does not seem to be effected by it. He loves the extra attention he gets andr. But Scooter (my Buddy)and Twitter were never that close. They could not share a cage. Twitter was bit of a Bully.
Oh great as I sit her typing this and watching him he is picking his nose again. :hehe: Don't think he likes water in his nose he just got a light shower.

Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss :(
It's good that Scooter is coping well though, hope you're doing okay too :sadhug2:

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Reasons for a night cage:

- It gives the parrot another place to be; i.e. It breaks up the monotony of the day cage. Instead of being in their main cage 20 hours a day, and out 4 hours a day, they are now in the main cage 11 hours a day, night cage 9 hours, and out 4 hours a day.
- It puts the parrot on the same schedule as you. If I did not have them in night cages, they would be calling me as soon as the sun rises, when I am not ready to get up.
- There is some comfort in having them nearby at night. Sometimes they softly call to me and reassure them back. I think it really enhances the flock mentality.

A couple things to remember - always have fresh water in the cage. If they are in the night cage for an extended period or time, I would put a small cup of seed also. None of my parrots will go potty in their night cage. They all hold it until I get them out in the AM. I carry them (sometimes urgently) to the toilet or trash to go potty. All of my parrots have something soft in their night cage to snuggle with or in, depending what their preference is.

Thank you for explaining, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to implement it at the moment... convincing everyone else in the house that more bird stuff is necessary is always a trial lol, but I'll try nonetheless-- the long-standing rule of 'no pets in the bedrooms' will be the biggest hurdle. Not to mention the fact that I live in a very dark house, and my conure doesn't wake up/start moving around her cage until the humans start bumbling around (not that we sleep in that late lol)-- don't get me wrong though, I really like the idea of breaking up cage-time :)

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Some new footage of Wyatt:

I'm still looking for the right cage (even though it's going to be a temporary one until I can save up for a larger, ss cage, I'm still being picky lol), and I'm steadily amassing a pile of toys with more still on their way-- Wyatt is going to be one busy boy! Well, I'm going to try and keep him busy lol :D
tmp_2327-20170223_184923866111675.jpg
Next lot of toys coming in will be foraging and chewing toys, would still love any suggestions, though!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So very cute :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wyatt is VERY cute. How old is he now?

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
UPDATE:
Meant to post this a while ago, but here's another short clip of him:

He's doing fantastically, is around 17 weeks old now, and will be coming home very soon (as in a matter of days!) :D :heart:

I'm so excited!!!

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Haa, whoops-- kinda fell off the edge of the world a bit there, but I just thought it'd be good to let everyone know that Wyatt is doing really well! He's stolen the hearts of many, and Lawrence is handling the newbie very well (was worried she'd get upset/jealous over him, heh). So far there aren't any issues, save for the fact that he's only recently started taking treats (and even then, he tends to roll them around in his beak before dropping them lol), so training hasn't gotten very far yet, but I'm sure we'll get there with time and patience :)

20170601_162242.jpg