• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inadvertently taught to bite

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I've had Blu for almost 6 months now and I think everything's going great for the most part.

He used to bite my hands very frequently and when he used to do that I would always calmly put him back down, on his perch, on the outside of his cage and withdraw my attention.

Now it seems he very rarely bites me anymore....except when he wants to go back to his cage. It's not a huge issue because even when he does bite now, it's not very hard. It's just his way of letting me know he wants to go back.

Just curious...is there any way I can teach him to let me know he wants to go back without biting? Or do you think it might resolve itself when all his flights grow in and he can fly?

Like I said, it isn't even a major issue. I'm just curious. Thanks in advance!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wondering why he cannot get back in the cage on his own? You can put a perch on the inside of the cage door and when it is open he has a perch to land on. If its the guillotine style of door then I suggest a new cage. Those doors are dangerous.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If he can fly he should be able to go when he wants. If not try to read the signs before the bite happens and return him to his cage.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Wondering why he cannot get back in the cage on his own? You can put a perch on the inside of the cage door and when it is open he has a perch to land on. If its the guillotine style of door then I suggest a new cage. Those doors are dangerous.
Sorry if I was a little unclear. I meant that he needs me to take him back to the cage when he's hanging out on me, when we are away from the cage (on a chair or couch)

If he can fly he should be able to go when he wants. If not try to read the signs before the bite happens and return him to his cage.
That's what I'm hoping, that he will be able to remember he can fly once his wings come in.

I'm pretty good at reading his body language but when he decides it's time to go back, it's almost instantaneous and he just bites. I may be missing it though so I will pay closer attention from now on.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He bites because he doesn't have any wings. Wait until his wings grow back.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks again! I don't think he's ever been allowed to fly so hoping he'll remember he has the ability once they come in.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Try taking him back to his cage every 15 minutes or so and see if he wants to go back in.

Otherwise, when you have him with you, try to figure out how long he waits until he bites, then take him back before that time comes.

Pied

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I think you'll be surprised once he "learns" to fly. Kylo is getting so good now that he's been allowed to stretch his wings with me over the last few months. He only bites if I scare him (he's not very hand tame) but now if he gets startled he sort of just hits me with the side of his beak and flies away. (Usually :p )