• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In the process of buying an adult HH

AbdulTheKewl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdulrahman Bukhari
Hi there, thanks for the useful article. I am in the prcoess of buying an adult HH, but I needed to check on a couple of things before proceeding with this. First, I am an experienced bird keeper, I've had an african grey, a cockatoo, and currently having a Pink Galah. I am aware of diet needs, cage specs, care and attention, as well as entertainment. I had a couple of questions like:
1. The bird I want to get is an adult, close-banded and it indicates 2010. Will this be a problem in getting the bird tamed? I understand this is not an easy job, and I have the petience for it.
2. Will it get along with my Pink Galah, or do they have to be seperated all the time?
3. Is there a preference for a male or a female one? How can you tell them apart, other than DNA sexing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hello and welcome to the forum. I will be back to help answer your questions...need more coffee. ;)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi there, thanks for the useful article. I am in the prcoess of buying an adult HH, but I needed to check on a couple of things before proceeding with this. First, I am an experienced bird keeper, I've had an african grey, a cockatoo, and currently having a Pink Galah. I am aware of diet needs, cage specs, care and attention, as well as entertainment. I had a couple of questions like:
1. The bird I want to get is an adult, close-banded and it indicates 2010. Will this be a problem in getting the bird tamed? I understand this is not an easy job, and I have the petience for it.
2. Will it get along with my Pink Galah, or do they have to be seperated all the time?
3. Is there a preference for a male or a female one? How can you tell them apart, other than DNA sexing?

I got Cochise in 09'. It took me a year to gain his confidence. He is my special friend and sweetheart now, though on his terms. This is usually the case with adults. Patience and understanding is paramount. Do not chase or force him/her to do anything.{unless of course it was an emergency}
He may or may not get along with your Galah. I would monitor all interaction and not leave them out together and alone, at least for a good while. Holly and Cochise are friends, though not snuggle buddies. We do have another member who's RFM and HH became instant friends, so it really depends on their individual personalities.
I love both my male and female. They are different in many ways. I got both as adults. They have a vast age difference though. I do not keep them together. I tried it and it just made Cochise a hot mess, and made Yuna very nervous and unhappy.
I hope this helps with your questions. If you have any more questions or need more info, do not hesitate to ask.
They do need rather large cages. Don't go by their size.

AbdulTheKewl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdulrahman Bukhari
I got Cochise in 09'. It took me a year to gain his confidence. He is my special friend and sweetheart now, though on his terms. This is usually the case with adults. Patience and understanding is paramount. Do not chase or force him/her to do anything.{unless of course it was an emergency}
He may or may not get along with your Galah. I would monitor all interaction and not leave them out together and alone, at least for a good while. Holly and Cochise are friends, though not snuggle buddies. We do have another member who's RFM and HH became instant friends, so it really depends on their individual personalities.
I love both my male and female. They are different in many ways. I got both as adults. They have a vast age difference though. I do not keep them together. I tried it and it just made Cochise a hot mess, and made Yuna very nervous and unhappy.
I hope this helps with your questions. If you have any more questions or need more info, do not hesitate to ask.
They do need rather large cages. Don't go by their size.
Thanks for your advice. I just got home after getting my HH, from a whole bunch of around 10 of them. My wife helped me pick him as he was the smallest in size, and the most vocal and energetic one. Got him a decent sized cage, with a perch, a sanded perch, and a wooden toy. He was curious at the cage and got vocal for a while, and then started eating. Will let him settle for a while and then start on the confidence and taming process. Any advice from you would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. Are you aware of the codes on the band?

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
Pictures! hehe I have a dream of someday getting a HH, and I loooove to see photos. :] <3

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What are the dimensions of the cage exactly? Only one perch? Is it a dowel perch? Only one toy? And what kind of wood? Hawkheads really do not chew much wood unless it is super soft, like balsa. How old is your bird, and what are you feeding him?
What country are you in? The codes generally have the year, and either date or chick number, and a three letter code for the breeder, and usually the state. I get all of mine removed by an experienced avian vet though.

AbdulTheKewl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdulrahman Bukhari
Here are 2 pictures of him, he's been in the cage for only 24 hours.
About the cage dimensions, it is 25W x 25L x 40H, if I did the cms to inches conversion correctly, but it is large enough to give him enough space to play around.
He has 2 sanded perches, and one regular perch.

I don't know how old is the bird, but am trying to figure out the coding on his band, and match it with the breeder the it came from, which seems to be in Holland.
I am in Saudi Arabia, and I feed him bird mix, which contains sun flower seeds and other seeds, as well as dry fruits. I am also supplementing that with fresh apples, and veggies.

If I recall right, the band read "SA 010 568" or something like that, because I am unable to touch the bird so far.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He is very beautiful, what is his name? On the band- I am assuming SA for Saudi Arabia, 010= the year 2010, 568 may be the code for the breeder or the chick number for that year. Just a guess.
I wouldn't keep a budgie in a cage that small, no offense. If you can, try to work on getting something larger, at least 40X30. Like a macaw cage. It looks like he is going to favor the spot with the sanded perch. I would put the sanded perch in front of his water or food, and give him a nice natural perch of safe wood for his favorite spot. That toy will probably not get much use. Look into things he can crunch up, like palm type toys or soft woods like balsa with other natural things attached.
The food... sunflower seeds are really not a great food, in fact they are discouraged. The dried fruits are also just generally sugary and not very healthy. Are there pellets available there? Pellets, a tiny bit of seed, and some fresh fruits, vegetables, and cooked items like sweet potato, carrots would be far more nutritious and keep him from having renal issues or feather issues. You can cook whole grains like some quinoa, or some lentils or beans. You can add other healthy things and make a mash. Perhaps pumpkin or squash, something green like peas, greens or similar, and a little fresh fruit each day like apple, banana, or grapes.Perhaps pineapple, papaya, mango, blueberry.He would enjoy an almond, walnut, or similar nut each day. Do not give peanuts.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I'm not familiar with any of the international leg band codes. You just want to be sure not to stress him out with too much handling unless he is a happy go lucky fella!! Some birds don't care when they move to a new person and some birds take weeks or months or even a year or so before they are fully well adjusted into a home.

I've had my HH "Chester" since 2005. He's always been timid although for quite a while he was okay with being handled and I could even kiss him on the beak when I'd ask for a kiss. He turned more towards getting stand offish. Then for the past 5 years he's been in a large aviary like 36 feet long but then I had to move him in a 6 foot x 4 foot cage about a year ago and now I can not enter into his cage and as he attacks me ... so in order to clean his walk in cage I have to net him and put him in a carrier while I clean his cage then put him back when done. He loves eating, doesn't talk but loves to make chatter noises when he eats.

I'd love to find him a new home but I honestly do not think he will ever be pet quality again. I've been very good to him and kind over the years with him. I'd like to find someone who would perhaps have a female to pair up with him but I have a feeling Chester could be the type to kill a mate especially if in a smaller cage setting. By the way, he was 6 years old when I got him and now he is 15 years old. It's unfortunate but most people do not really want to keep a bird that they can not handle. My reason for wanting to rehome him due to my breathing problems but he is out in the aviary so mainly for me it is the cleaning the aviary part, there are 6 birds total in the aviary and of course Chester is in one cage by himself which he sees all the other birds. He loves being next to Kuka my B&G Macaw, they tease each other through the wire which is doubled wire so no chance of each nipping any toes. Sometimes he cries for Kuka when I bring her in for the night. Across from his cage is a pair of Blue Front Amazons and next to them is a Cockatiel and a Coral Billed Pionus. I have my Blue Headed "Blu" who stays in the house all the time.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hello Jan. I am sorry you are having to rehome Chester. Have you thought of a sanctuary? There he could have the fun of visits and lots of birds to interact with from a distance, in a flight, and vocalize to his hearts content. I have a contact # for my friend's sanctuary if you would like to consider it.

Reactions: Jan

AbdulTheKewl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdulrahman Bukhari
Hello Jan, sorry you have to rehome your bird. This can be really frustrating. I hope he can find a good home.

Regarding my bird, I must say that we were quite surprised by how short it took us, me and my wife, to get close to him. In about 4 weeks after we brought him home, he accepted food from my wife's hands. A couple of days later, he got really friendly and we were able to pick him up and pet him.
Our only issue is, unlike our Galah, he doesn't warm up to our 4 year old son, which is understandable.

Overall, the HH has some unique character, and all the amazing things that I've read about their personalities are almost entirely true.

Just thought I might share the good news with everyone, and thank them for their help.
And here's just a picture of how we bonded :)

Attachments

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Congrats on the hawkhead and the bonding! :) They are such great birds!

Jan, sorry to hear you have to re home Chester. I also home he can find a good place suitable for him.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Hi all - Thanks! Hi Abdul - yes, Hawk Heads are surely unique birds, sounds like you are make a good start with your HH.

AbdulTheKewl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdulrahman Bukhari
Thanks everyone.
I would appreciate your help with the following 2 issues:

1. I happen to have a Pink Galah, aka Rose Breasted Cockatoo, about the same age as my HH, and he's been with the family for almost 3 years now. My 4 year old son loves, and he lets my son pet him and get close and everything. However, my HH gets really aggressive around my son, and won't even let him touch him, or feed him. I know am not gonna push it, but any advices to share?

2. My HH gets really aggressive with my Galah, and he actually attacked him a couple of times, when both birds are sitting on the couch with me. I will not force them to be friends of course, but I would love them to get along and at least be ok with each other's presence. I know it's the HH, and not the other way around.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am sorry you are having issues. In my experience forcing a Hawkhead to do much of anything it does not like or want to do is asking for serious trouble. They are more of a type of bird that does things on their terms. I strongly suggest you do not force either relationship. Appreciate what you and he have, and leave it at that.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Yup! She knows a thing or two when it comes to these birds! They have been described at very strong willed birds, which can lend itself to issues like this. You could try positive reinforcement, using his favorite treats, but chances are you'll just have to work around the bird's will. Maybe sometime down the road he will warm up some after he's been around you all for a while.

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
I too am sorry to hear of you having to rehome Chester. If my life situation were improved I would offer a potential hands-off home, but alas it is not the case.

It is wonderful to hear how well your HH has adapted to your home! :] If you have any other photos, please share. <3 I love seeing them.