• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In need of carrier suggestions

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I would have said what Max said - look into the steel mesh and heavy chewer options.

I'd shoot the company an email or FB message them re: durability.

I just love the carriers and my birds just go right into them without hesitation right off the bat. So much ability to customize perch, cup, and toy placements (for a carrier). All that said, my experience is with a cockatiel and two GCCs, not a cockatoo!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My baby macaw has actually had a few minutes where I was not able to get him fast enough and he was sitting on top of the Pak-O-Bird carrier having a good chew. The material the bag is made out of is quite sturdy and tough and he did not do any damage, I am sure if he was left to his own devices for a length of time he may do some damage particularly to the zip but from the inside he has had a good try at chewing and so far no damage has occurred. There is a tough plastic liner to stop them getting to the zips and seams inside the bag and my bird likes to chew fairly hard on these and so far has not made a mark on the plastic protector. He was in it for just over 6 hours yesterday trying to find something he could grab to chew and play with but ended up settling with the toys I have in there as he could not make anything fun to chew as there were no loose pieces for him to grab and gnaw on. I think if you send the company an email they will be able to advise which carrier would suit and they do have packs that are specially for hard chewing birds. You can even have them custom made and they did not seem to be overpriced for making a pack to order. My dog has even tried to chew his way in for the treats I had not cleaned out yet and he gave up trying sooner than I expected.
I am more than satisfied with the pack as I saw what my macaw did to the dog carrier without even making an effort and he has had much longer to do damage in the pack and so far not a scratch or hole to be found. The dog carrier has dents and gouges and the back pack still looks brand new even with more time to chew at it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I thought I'd let everyone know I ended up ordering the Pak-O-Bird with the steel mesh. I haven't gotten it but hope I will love it as much as I think I will. I debated about just getting a less expensive carrier for now but... I need something that Howie can hold on his lap since we'll have the back filled with Elvis's new cage. And then I rationalized why spend money on something else if eventually I was going to get a Pak-O-Bird anyway. (And I further rationalized that I saved so much money on getting Elvis's "new" cage used that I could get the Pak-O-Bird. LOL.)

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that Dr. Foster and Smith not only has the Pak-O-Bird on sale right now but there is also a coupon for 10% off and free shipping. The sales price was about $30 dollars less than Amazon plus shipping was going to be $30 on Amazon because it didn't qualify for prime shipping. Then, there was still the additional 10% off. So if anyone is interested in one, check out the Dr. Foster and Smith sale.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Now you have peace of mind about traveling with Elvis.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope you love yours as much as Burt and I are loving our one. Yesterday Burt got a little frustrated and made his best attempt yet at destroying the bag (I was taking too long to organize myself so i could get him out). He was giving it his best shot but he was just not able to get a decent beak full of anything so there was still no damage.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
This has become my favorite. Gracie can move around and has two perches. It’s a dog carrier from Petco. I attach some toys and if she’s tires I cover the top and sides with a blanket.
It’s perfect.
I put a towel on the bottom, to prevent her from sliding around.

CAA0BBD2-6FE7-4BBB-A584-2C93D5FE3692.jpeg 50A3AB0D-436A-42FA-8C38-EA5D0C7FA9FD.jpeg