• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In need of carrier suggestions

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As some of you may know, Elvis chewed a hole through his carrier. I loved that carrier. Sigh. It was made by Parrotopia and had a perch inside. It was light weight and probably 2 feet long. So he had some room to move around. Apparently, Parrotopia doesn't sell them anymore. I have an actual travel cage (the poquito avian hotel). But when I bring him home from Erie, he'll have his big cage in the back of the SUV and if another person is with me, there's not a lot of room for a travel cage. Also, for quick trips to the vet, etc. his carrier was so much easier to use than the travel cage. I can't seem to find another carrier that I like. I have thought about just getting a bird back pack but they're a bit expensive and I don't know how comfortable they'd be for car rides, etc. Does anyone have a carrier that they like?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I like the small plastic dog carriers with front doors...you c an do a bit of alteration to get a perch in it. I also bought the small kings cage. I have the poquito but its heavy for quick dash luggin around...
Anything they can eat a hole thru is just not safe!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would just go with a dog or cat carrier. You can always add a perch to that if you wish. Of course, Elvis being Elvis and a Goffin's there is every possibility that he will start to chew away at the plastic creating a hole which becomes increasingly large in size. Therefore, you may want to look at a collapsible carrier such as: https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-Travel-Bird-L16-5-White/dp/B004GIGW9U
Keno has destroyed a cardboard carrier, a plastic dog carrier and has been working on another plastic carrier whenever she is in it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would just go with a dog or cat carrier. You can always add a perch to that if you wish. Of course, Elvis being Elvis and a Goffin's there is every possibility that he will start to chew away at the plastic creating a hole which becomes increasingly large in size. Therefore, you may want to look at a collapsible carrier such as: Amazon.com : Collapsible Travel Bird Cage 24" L16.5"W 20.5"H White : Folding Travel Bird Cage : Pet Supplies
Keno has destroyed a cardboard carrier, a plastic dog carrier and has been working on another plastic carrier whenever she is in it.
LOL. Oh Keno. Yes, a cardboard one would last about 5 minutes with Elvis. The funny thing is he had been in the carrier he chewed probably 10 times before and all without incident. I guess he just decided that day he wanted out. LOL. Luckily it was inside @cassiesdad's house and not while we were in the car. I think my friend who was with me who has never really been around birds would have had a heart attack to have Elvis loose in the car. LOL.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wont he chew his way through a plastic carrier? The one I had was from Kings made of aluminum and very lightweight.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wont he chew his way through a plastic carrier? The one I had was from Kings made of aluminum and very lightweight.
Probably if he wanted to. I was hoping to find something that someone could hold on their lap. I know at least with Sunny, he preferred to be in the front seat with us on car trips which is why my now destroyed carrier was so perfect. Sigh.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is why I go the aluminum one because its light in weight. I had another one similar but not Kings which was very heavy. You are right to be concerned about the weight. I will look for the weight if its in the ad.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a Prevue carrier: Prevue Hendryx Pet Travel Carrier Bird Cage with Removable Tray & Reviews | Wayfair
I think one of the members here purchased this but don't remember who that was.

If you decide to get a King's carrier best to purchase from Bonkabirdtoys. His customer service is very good. King's recently had a 15% off sale on their carriers. Perhaps he will be willing to give you a discount. Wherever you purchase from make sure it is the newer model.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I got a Celltei Pak-O-Bird carrier for my bird. So far I have found it good, I tried it in the car yesterday and it fit nicely in one seat and was easy to put the seat belt around. I find it comfortable to carry whether I use it as a back pack or just carry it by the handle on the top of the bag. My bird seems to be much more settled being moved in the Pak-O-Bird than he does in the dog carrier. Even though there is a perch in the dog carrier, my bird seems to prefer to hang off the front door or the small holes on the sides and he carries on in the carrier, he sits calmly and quietly in the Pak-O-Bird, it was a much more relaxing car ride for him in the pak-o-bird. Granted I am yet to find out how well it lasts after repeated uses and trips but I have had many good reports of these bags being used regularly for years without a problem.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
King's is having a sale on cardboard carriers. You have to buy at least 100 of them to get the discounted price. You would have lots of them for Elvis to destroy. :laugh:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
King's is having a sale on cardboard carriers. You have to buy at least 100 of them to get the discounted price. You would have lots of them for Elvis to destroy. :laugh:
LOL. I'm afraid Elvis wouldn't even make it to the house from the car in a cardboard one.

Max Rain

Meeting neighbors
LOL. I'm afraid Elvis wouldn't even make it to the house from the car in a cardboard one.
I would NOT trust Pita in anything cardboard! :laugh: She's a little destroyer.