• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"In cage time"

Leshika

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leshika
Is in cage time really a thing?is it good for them to be in the cage for a little while?if so please can anyone tell me how does it help the bird..thanks:hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well I can think of a few reasons for them to be acclimated to their cage:

1) Safety. Other pets, kids, people going in and out of the house, cooking, etc.

2) Not nervous if they have to be caged while you are gone for some reason (vacation, illness, etc)

3) Your own safety. For aggressive birds, etc

It depends on the bird sometimes, but for the most part I keep an open cage while I am home and close it when I am not :)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
My cockatiel has a cage, but the door is always open. He doesn't get into any trouble, mostly just stays on top of his cage or on his tree stand.

My other birds I lock up at night and when I'm not around to supervise during the day.

It really depends on the species and individual bird as well as your own setup, but having a cage is always beneficial even if they're not in it often.

Leshika

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leshika
My bird doesn't like to be in the cage and if he is locked in the cage he constantly scratches the bottom of the cage..he only goes in the cage by himself at night to sleep

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your bird does not have to use a cage if you do not wish for him to and you have a safe area for him to be out all the time. I personally think it is beneficial for birds to be comfortable and happy in a cage for some amount of time as there are likely to be times that it will be safest for the bird to be caged and the last thing you want is for your bird to be unsettled or stressed because it is locked in a cage for it's safety.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Basically, safety. If you have a hot oven you're going to be opening, or burners on your stove, and you can't close them in a safe room without supervision. Our Pi is pretty well behaved but she's already tried to start destroying furniture if we don't keep her supervised, and even worse than her wrecking a few things, not all my furniture is safe for her to chew! I want to make sure she's not eating anything toxic. With our p'let we also had to worry about if I was eating something like chocolate or a bowl of hot soup, because Curtis would try to eat anything I was eating and he did fall into my food once, or have guests over who are afraid of them. It's usually just about precautions, not really about her emotional health. Though I know some birds do benefit from having a safe territory which they feel is theirs.