• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Important stuff need help ....

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So we are planning on redoing our whole houses flooring main floor and basement ...we would like to do our main floor in lino ..we have big dogs and cats and with the birds we would like to get rid of the carpet and upgrade the lino we have ...so the problem I would expect is the birds with the glue and the lino ...anyone know anything about this ....in the basement we are doing vinyl flooring so that shouldnt be a problem ....I would think I would have to move the birds down stairs maybe ..is that going to be enough ...I dont know ...HELP!!!!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Best to remove all animals till the floor cures,,a good week or so. We had a vinyl type wood floor put in the gym at work. The fumes were so bad, we had to close it for about 2 weeks,with fans running 24/7.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@JLcribber

I've tagged somebody for you.

We're doing our main floor in luxury vinyl plank flooring. I'm moving into a relatives house with my parrots for a few days but I think we are going to be gluing our floors down because hubby doesn't want that hollow sound.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Really ....a week ....oh no ....do you think it matters what type of flooring ..like down stairs will be the interlocking wood type ..but upstairs will be the Lino .... :arghh:

I know there are special paints out there for people with chemical sensitivity I wonder if there are glues for the same ...:huh:

Last edited:

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you having both levels done at the same time or spacing the installation apart? If you can space them apart for a bit you could move the birds from one level of the house to the other after the fumes have passed. I know different brands of glue and flooring will take different time frames to get rid of the fumes. We are looking at our flooring options now and will be doing the three levels in our house at different times so it will be easier to move the birds around once we start. I know in the past when we've had to worry about fumes in the house we have put the birds in a room on a different level, closed off and covered the vents in that room so that they are not getting the same air from the rest of the house thru the AC/heat system and made sure we put towels under/around the doors so that air didn't flow into the room and kept a window open for fresh air. Not sure how well that will work when doing the flooring in the whole house though. I'm not sure how healthy breathing those fumes would be for a person either. I'm mostly worried about doing our upstairs because we'll be refinishing the existing wood floors and I know the varnish fumes will be awful for several days. I'm thinking we may have to get a hotel for a couple of days during that phase.

Please keep us posted as to what you end up doing and how long the fumes last.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Well I think the main floor is going to be the problem cuz the basement will be done with the click and place vinyl wood flooring and no glue or adhesive will be used Im thinking ..so if thats the case we can put the birds down there for the upstairs placement of the lino ..maybe... I have no idea ...we are waiting for the floor guy to get back to us ...this is all new to us we have never done our floors and its about time ;)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well I think the main floor is going to be the problem cuz the basement will be done with the click and place vinyl wood flooring and no glue or adhesive will be used Im thinking ..so if thats the case we can put the birds down there for the upstairs placement of the lino ..maybe... I have no idea ...we are waiting for the floor guy to get back to us ...this is all new to us we have never done our floors and its about time ;)
Just fyi, we had someone tell us that if the floor was large, they recommended glue for the click and place stuff. Apparently it will sound hollow otherwise.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Ok thats great to know ....well I just got off the phone with the floor guy and he said that floor adhesive has come along way and has no gas off now so I should be worried about the parrots or my other animals ..they will also install the vinyl flooring for us in the basement even though we didnt buy it from them ...so mom is going to take a look at their flooring today maybe this will happen before Christmas wouldnt that be great :dance5:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Linoleum is old school. I would go with the vinyl plank/tile throughout the house. Much more durable product. Even in bathrooms/kitchens. No need for glue depending on the vinyl. Many of them lock together. A big factor in how it turns out is with the installer. As with any trade or profession, you've got to find a good one.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
My biggest problem with going with anything that locks together is dog pee ...I have a big dog that has accidents and a puppy that isnt fully trained and I plan on having dogs for the rest of my life so that means more puppies and more old dogs that will have bladder problems as they get older ..so Lino just makes since to me as it will last longer and I will not have to worry about anything buckling and tiles crack if things are dropped on them ...I would like to do hard wood but mom thinks we will have problems with dog pee at some point with it too...there are some nice Linos out there so thats what is going to happen ...so really need options about that :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Check into the luxury plank flooring then. I was told we could put that in our bathrooms

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Check into the luxury plank flooring then. I was told we could put that in our bathrooms
So this stuff would be good if a dog peed over night and it wouldnt seep through like other plank flooring would ...thats the problem we are worried about ...With Lino it wouldnt seep it would just stay in a puddle until it gets cleaned up in the morning the same with diarrhea issues ...I am trying to make the house very dog friendly ..not like it is now with the carpet ...I hate to even see what under the carpet looks like since we have been there for 20 yrs with dogs .... :facepalm:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So this stuff would be good if a dog peed over night and it wouldnt seep through like other plank flooring would ...thats the problem we are worried about ...With Lino it wouldnt seep it would just stay in a puddle until it gets cleaned up in the morning the same with diarrhea issues ...I am trying to make the house very dog friendly ..not like it is now with the carpet ...I hate to even see what under the carpet looks like since we have been there for 20 yrs with dogs .... :facepalm:
Can't use steam cleaners on it. In the warranty info it says you can't use vinegar either.

Probably the best flooring for your issues would be tile (I'd love that but hubby won't let us have that because he thinks it is cold).

When they rip that carpet up, you may want to look at the subfloor. Dogs usually go to the bathroom in the same spot. I wonder if the subfloor would smell of urine? @JLcribber is that a possibility and if so, can they replace just a portion of that?

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Can't use steam cleaners on it. In the warranty info it says you can't use vinegar either.

Probably the best flooring for your issues would be tile (I'd love that but hubby won't let us have that because he thinks it is cold).

When they rip that carpet up, you may want to look at the subfloor. Dogs usually go to the bathroom in the same spot. I wonder if the subfloor would smell of urine? @JLcribber is that a possibility and if so, can they replace just a portion of that?
Yeah I was wondering about the sub flooring as well cuz of that very issue ...I have the floor guy coming when I get home from work today ...what would be the issues with tile and the grout and stuff with the birds ... so many things to think about with the birdies :huh:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Yes that’s very common we see that all the time. Nice big black spot on the subfloor. It can be cut out and replaced. It can also just be cleaned and treated if it’s not that bad

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Yes that’s very common we see that all the time. Nice big black spot on the subfloor. It can be cut out and replaced. It can also just be cleaned and treated if it’s not that bad
I would assume the sub flooring is pretty bad in some places 20 yrs of puppies and old dogs tends to do that to old floors no matter how many times you shampoo them ...if we go the tile rout do you think there is anything we have to worry about with the installing part ? :huh: