• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Important-Please Read

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
From USA TODAY

Puppy poop is causing a human diarrhea epidemic

https://usat.ly/2y27QPR

Puppies for sale by a national pet store chain have passed along infections to people in seven states, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Monday. Petland puppies were linked to 39 cases of human Campylobacter infections, which causes bloody diarrhea, fever, stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting. Campylobacter is spread through contact with dog poop, but can't spread from person to person. Nine people have been hospitalized because of the outbreak. Of those infected, 12 were Petland employees and 27 recently purchased or visited a Petland puppy, the CDC reports. Petland is working with health officials.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks for sharing.

Good thing I would never step foot into a Petland. They charge like $3000 for a puppy who is probably a puppy mill pup.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Actually Campylobacter can be passed from human to human. I got it in nursing school during my pediatrics rotation.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can it be passed to parrots?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
It is generally passed by contaminated food or water. Chickens are frequently a carrier but do not show signs of illness. That and salmonella are why you must not cut up other foods after cutting raw chicken.