• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Importance of Cayenne Pepper

fid fanatic

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cheri
What a fantastic post! I had no idea it causes digestive problems when cooked. It doesn't bother any of the humans in the house when I cook with it, nor does it seem to bother my fids, but I won't be cooking with it for them any longer. And it stops bleeding? So cool! No more Quick Stop.

SallyPax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelley and Valerie
My bird has an injured toe, from a bitten toenail that she proceeded to rip out. She is on pain meds and antibiotics and the area is not bleeding but she is picking at her toe. We are monitoring her to not allow that. Will cayenne help with this issue in any way?

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
I have found this info very interesting and see the merits of using for injuries...

So I thought I would pass this info on to the rescue organ. I worked for as they have a bird that I think could have benefitted from it and boy the response I got was unbelievable; I know they have used holistic treatments prior to this suggesstion, but not prepared for what came back.

"While birds do like to eat it the only thing that would happen to use on damaged skin would to promote more mutilation and the pain from using it on damaged skin isn't worth it there are no beneficial qualities from doing this." This isn't verbatim but pretty close to it, I didn't put in what their BCAV said as it was along the same lines.

Are there any studies that say for sure one way or the other? I know that there is a lot of first hand info passed on from people who have used this treatment but how did they arrive at its use?

I am always open to being educated if not for myself but for the betterment of my avian companions.

Thank you so much for hearing me out.

ParrotMama

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
This was a wonderful post. :geek: I have always been wary of cayenne because of how negatively it can affect a dog's sense of smell. I will be reading into the avian (and human) health benefits after this holiday season passes!

I have always used cornstarch to help blood clot and stop bleeding, but I can see how the cayenne could work.

MissLeigh

Strolling the yard
I just bought some Organic and Organic cinnamon recently. I had no idea there were organic spices.
I know, right? I went to Whole Foods and there are a million organic spices! What we do for your pets! I don't even use organic spice. :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I discussed cayenne with my holistic avian vet and her biggest concern is to not allow the bird to inhale the powdered spice. It is OK to put cayenne into boiling water to release the oil and cautiously inhale the steam, but do not use it for respiratory therapy on birds due to their complex system. It should also, of course, never be used around the eyes as it will burn the corneas and blind the bird. Use for stopping bleeding is fantastic and use to help keep wounds clean and free of infection is also great. Dr Stern also likes using the paste of cayenne and water to cover wounds with a thin 'bandaid' of coverage; and it doesn't matter if the bird eats the paste. I like it because by using the cayenne paste, I do not have to keep fighting with the bird to leave their bandage alone. I just reapply it as needed. Oh, yeah, it also keeps the wound dry, since it has a drying effect on the skin.

str8ths

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jessica
Ok I have a question on the raw vs. cooked matter. I'm going to use a lame example :wacky: I'm assuming powdered form wouldn't be considered "raw" -- so when it comes to making, say, birdie bread, cooking actual peppers in the bread may be harmful, but does that mean it would be ok to cook the powder in the bread? Or would cooked powder have the same bad effects??

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
This is so interesting!
I didn't know any of this, and have Bubo, our little Goffin, who has seizures when toweled, and I will try a bit of cayenne water and see if it helps. She has also become a feather-chewer, and sometimes bites blood feathers. Maybe cayenne is what she needed all this time!

Squawkers

Moving in
This is really interesting! In the powdered form, could I sprinkle it on eggs? I'd figure it'd stick alright, but that post about inhaling it worries me.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Try using dried flakes. I gave mine jalapenos to eat but wasn't a great hit.
I love hot pepper & eat some form of it daily
:joyful:

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I have a lot of spices and herbs, but can never remember the healing effects of each.

Thank you for all of the information!

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
I do sprinkle a little Cayenne Pepper on our birds mash every few days and also try to add some fresh oregano into it for its benefits. But when I asked about using it topically to stop bleeding to my avian vet, he said that, that probably would not be a good idea since they are used to eating some and would probably cause them to pick at that area.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
When I was at a seminar with Dr Susan Clubb I asked her about using it to heal wounds and she had never heard of that and asked me where I got that info and told her on the internet. Her only reply was that you can't believe everything you see on the internet. :shrug3:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
When I was at a seminar with Dr Susan Clubb I asked her about using it to heal wounds and she had never heard of that and asked me where I got that info and told her on the internet. Her only reply was that you can't believe everything you see on the internet. :shrug3:
I will not say that it's not working, but I'm very careful and want advice from a avian vet before using anything on my birds. Or prove that it's working on human. (other herbs e.t.c)
And cayenne pepper isn't clean enough for using in open wounds. That is my experience if you buy them as a flavor/spice.

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
I use it but not everyday nor on the clock. Love it.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I'm very careful using cayenne for wounds, bleeding nails and also as a garnish for cooked veg and grain. I do not use pre-ground peppers, I buy whole, food grade peppers and fresh grind them. I recently rescued an injured mourning dove who had a bleeding gash on the thigh. I cut dried peppers in half and placed the pieces over the bleeding and wrapped with vet wrap. It took me 35 minutes to get to a vet. The vet said the peppers stopped the bleeding. He later that day sutured the wound a Dovie is recovering in a sturdy double cage on my deck. Emmie CAG acts as watchbird through the patio door. Dovie is doing well and returns to the vet next Tuesday.

Dr Grimm, the vet, was impressed with the fast action of the cayenne. He said it was much faster than most powders.

Spacerella

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ava
Thank you for this!!! I've just peppered some cayenne pepper on the food of my fid who has respiratory issues and/or vitamin A deficiency. So surprised that it has so many healing properties!