• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Import Bands and Wild Caught Parrots

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Our foster birdie Elvis went to the vet yesterday for a nail trim, etc. Up until then, I hadn't been able to read his leg band. Although it looks like an import band, I had been told that there are still breeders that use open bands. So, I wasn't positive. Anyway, I finally got the numbers/letters. There are three letters (FEH) followed by 3 numbers, which I'm not remembering right now but they're something like 754. From everything I've read, that means my little guy is a wild caught parrot and that he came in through Florida (the "F" letter) in 1992 or prior. Does anyone have any info that might differ from that? I had been told by another person that she thought Elvis looks younger than 25 but can you tell unless they're really young? Also, Elvis is a really, really sweet bird. I had also been told that's unusual for wild caught parrots. Does anyone else here have a wild caught too? What are they like?

@Macaw Lover (I know you had asked about this before- just wanted to make sure you saw my update. :) )

Oh, and my vet also thinks it's an import band.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC and Secret are both wild caught (per their bands).

MC is a sweetie, Secret is a mini-Wasabi Amazon.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe if he was caught really young, and had a good start with someone, he could turn into a sweetie. You know, we need more Elvis photos...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hank was a wild caught and sold at auction in 1978. His previous caretaker at the Tropicana Hotel had traced his history down. He had been badly abused at the Trop before Gail became the caretaker, but she put two years of work in on him and got him handleable. When I got him he had been in a terrible bird store for a year and had regressed somewhat. Meanest bird I've ever known. After six years of ups and downs, mistakes and compromises between Hank and I, he and I became best buddies. He lived with me for 15 years before he died and for that entire time I had to be careful not to startle him, or get him too wound up, or try to force him when he really didn't want to do something, or he would turn into a manic again. I would imagine hat a wild caught that had not had a horrible first 18 years like Hank would be like any other bird. Hank had the best sense of humor I've ever seen in a parrot.

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
Bingo was wild caught for sure (due to her age) and was never banded to my knowledge. Wild doesn't automatically mean less friendly - Bingo is super loving with my husband and she was both abused and wild caught.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is from the USDA APHIS site:
"If your bird has a leg band with three letters (the first one being F, C, O, M, I, L, or N), followed by three numbers, it was undoubtedly imported into one of the above listed States prior to 1992." As you have posted the F = Florida
Keno, Goffin's, & Casey, BFA, are both wild caught imports. They are generally friendly and like to be scratched/petted. However, I have had them since they were young, Keno @ 8 months old & Casey 3 mos. old. Both nature & nurture affect a bird's personality and I don't think being wild caught should be equated with being "wild" and unfriendly. Depends on the bird and how they are raised.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Glad to see you were able to get a definitive answer on Elvis! I've only met him once but I can vouch that he is a sweet goofy 'too! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Glad to see you were able to get a definitive answer on Elvis! I've only met him once but I can vouch that he is a sweet goofy 'too! :)

That's right- I forgot you met him. He was quite taken with you and your girlfriend and trying to steal a bite of your pizza. LOL.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Bebe has open band, does that mean that he is wild caught ??

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is Bebe?
Imports stopped @1992.
Sometimes even domestic birds will have an open band although generally they are closed banded.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I have no idea how old he really is? PO said ten years old, the band is not readable and he will not let you look at his bracelet. he fights beak and talon if you try.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no idea how old he really is? PO said ten years old, the band is not readable and he will not let you look at his bracelet. he fights beak and talon if you try.
"In 1992, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service enacted the Wild Bird Conservation Act. This legislation stopped the commercial importation of psitticine birds (parrots) into the United States. Prior to that time there were many thousands of parrots imported into the United States, many of them wild caught."

Are you planning on removing the band?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
no, we have tried several times to remove it. he about has stroke every time. plus it's 75.00 fee at the clinic. I watch him very carefully to make sure he does not get it tangled in any thing in his cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
$75...wow. I was never charged for band removal but that was a long time ago. I did pay for an exam but nothing extra was charged for removing the band.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If the breeder does not band the baby in time, or the band falls off and the breeder does not realize it, then open bands can be used.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
i wonder how old he really is, have you done a full dna test ? every answer should be in it no ? it is a lovely thing to offer your house and forst elvis !:cheer::super:

how long are you keeping him ?

im not used to wild cought birds because most birds sold in french pet stores usually all come from france, spaine and italy. but yours must have traveled so much, i wander what he's been through in the past

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My guess is no. And that the breeder just used an open band. Bebe would be a really old cockatiel if wild caught. And I don't know how many cockatiels were really wild caught at the time. I think in the 90s breeding here was common and it was more the bigger parrots being wild caught still. If you can ever read the band though, an import band will have 3 letters, followed by 3 numbers. I actually could never read Sunny's band clearly either while he was with us. Not because he would bite but just because it was hard to read. I could see the hatch year on it but not the other's too clearly.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He was very determined to try a bite of that pizza, haha!
And what's funny is, he has no interest in human food at all. I've tried- especially to get him to try to eat vegetables. But he wanted your pizza that day.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
i wonder how old he really is, have you done a full dna test ? every answer should be in it no ? it is a lovely thing to offer your house and forst elvis !:cheer::super:

how long are you keeping him ?

im not used to wild cought birds because most birds sold in french pet stores usually all come from france, spaine and italy. but yours must have traveled so much, i wander what he's been through in the past
I didn't have him DNA tested this time at the vet's office due to a miscommunication with me, the vet tech and the vet. But I plan to next time we go for a nail trim. I don't think the DNA test will tell me age though. We know he's at least 25. He would have likely been born in Indonesia, I believe, and brought to the U.S. through Florida. How he got to Pennsylvania, I doubt we'll ever know. I have read that sometimes you can still obtain records showing what year a bird was brought into the country. I plan on trying to see if I can find out. Just because I'm curious.