• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm so pathetic....

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
....That I've learned goldfish CPR. I've had to use it once or twice, believe it or not.
Heck, I'm pathetic, but caring!! :dance4:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wish you were here. Could have used your technique yesterday. I swear once these are gone I am done with GF.
<<feeling sad:sad2:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww, so sorry about whatever happened, Carole. :( :hug8:
What makes you done with goldies?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ughh..I lost Spott yesterday. Spott has seen and been through it all. I have lost countless GF. I have never had so many problems trying to keep any fish alive, ever. I feel like I should just stop giving out advice, because obviously I can not even keep them. And just sell the tank or shut it down for awhile...

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
He's such a pretty boy!!!
What happened? (if you want to share) :)

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
I'm sorry about Spott Carole :sadhug2:He was adorable. The only problem I seem to get with my ranchus is occasional swim bladder (usually after I have taken them out of the tank for the big weekly cleaning). I serve peas for dinner and it goes away. They are the messiest fish I have ever had, constantly skimming poop, and I do a poop vacuuming nightly. I am careful to clean everything in tank water now so even when I do the big weekly water change the good bacteria stays in.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Fish keeping is awesome, but I have found my most hardiest fish are the rescues I get from Walmart believe it or not. They are all African cichlids and they live for years. My oldest rescue fish was a synodontis from Walmart and I had him for 8 yrs. I know you love goldies but there are so many long lived interesting species.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Uh...Goldies can live 20 years, so if that isn't long-lived?? :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I do have other fish (my guppies are turning two years old this week!), but my heart is totally with goldies. :) :heart: :heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for the good wishes and thoughts everyone. I am sorry I turned your thread around GP. :hug8:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Sorry to hear that Carole but don't blame yourself. A lot of fancy goldfish, due to the way they are bred, are very susceptible to illness. My house mate the Fish House Manager says they always have a lot of trouble with the GF's they get in, with the Ranchus in particular.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Goldies can get lots of issues, but are typically tough. One of mine got her side chomped to the skin (everything else eaten away) and now, 6 months later, even her scales have grown back! :dance4:

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
WOW - CPR for goldfish. I'd have never thought of that and no it's not pathetic at all!

I love fish but only had them when I was younger but never had any luck with them either!

Carole, sorry about your loss!

I'd love to have some fish but I was "told" by my son :hehe: "No more critters Mom" And since I'm the caretaker of ALL of them, yeah no more (for now at least!)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL
I'm just a critter magnet, what can I say??
4 of my 5 goldies were rescued (all were rescues) from a pitcher because someone abandoned them to DIE next door. Seriously?? You don't leave two shubunkins, two fancies, and a pleco in a pitcher with no food, no filtration. I can't imagine what would have happened had I not stepped in...

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's Peach! She doesn't have much of a wen. She's very stunted too. That's what living in a 10 gallon with other fish does.
Peach at night.jpg