• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm really about to lose it

nm0710

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nicole
Zazu's screaming for no reasons at all has me very close to absolutely losing it. From about 3:00 until she goes to bed she will scream. Nothing has changed in my home this has started about two weeks ago.

She has toys.
She gets attention.
She has food.
Her cage is open for her to roam instead, she will sit in there and yell.

It's interfering with daily conversations, I can't think straight, and it's putting me in a VERY bad mood. She has earned herself an earlier bed time because of it, she used to go to bed around 8:00 now she goes in at 7:00. I thought maybe she wasn't getting enough sleep but I'm assuming that's not the problem. I try very very hard to not yell at her and do my best to ignore it.

At this point I don't know what to do or how to make it stop.

I understand birds are vocal animals. A squack here and there aren't a problem but this is sitting on the side of the cage screaming pause for a few minutes and do it all over again.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is she flighted? Are you in her sight when she is screaming? Does she scream while she is on you? Does she have an area outside of her cage that she is allowed to hang out on?

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
Is she flighted? Are you in her sight when she is screaming? Does she scream while she is on you? Does she have an area outside of her cage that she is allowed to hang out on?
She is not flighted. She screams while I'm insight and not insight. She hates hands, will not step up near or in or around her cage. Getting her away from her cage is like pulling teeth. She absolutely loves her cage. She does have a play stand, I've given her the option to go onto it but she won't do it on her own. I'd have to force her out of the cage which I don't do often unless it's for cleaning purposes.

If you try to touch her or anything inside the cage. She will lunge and make this squawking scream sound. It's just like a cue of hey back off.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your bird is lonely. "Stuff" is boring.

The cage is also a source of the problem along with not being able to fly. Flight being the biggest one.

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
Your bird is lonely. "Stuff" is boring.

The cage is also a source of the problem along with not being able to fly. Flight being the biggest one.
If I were to just buy a brand new cage and new supplies, would I see some changes in behavior? I've said before I was going to just get a new cage but I haven't done it yet. She is in the cage she was bought with (they gave me her and everything that belonged to her).

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Can you post a pic of her cage and the area next to her that she like to hang out on?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you had to rearrange her cage at all?

In my experience, there are a few reasons why this type of screaming usually occurs.

1) Scared/Nervous. Something in the environment has changed. It could be a toy moved to a new spot, a spider in the corner, a burnt out light bulb, or something outside. Bobber is this type of screamer.

2) Flock calling. While she might be hands off, she is still a flock animal. Does she calm down when you are nearby? Usually this screaming is to get you to "come back" because you are "lost". They want you to come to them because they aren't able to move themselves (like in the case of being clipped).

3) Bored. You can give a bird 1000 toys, but if they aren't something they want to play with, or know how to, then it doesn't matter. What kinds of toys are you offering? Does she have foraging opportunities? A bird in the wild does 3 main things: flies, finds food, mates. Since you aren't a mate, and she can't fly, you need to be offering lots of ways for her to find food. If she eats her fill in 5 minutes, there is nothing else for her to do for the next few hours.

Photos of her areas definitely might help :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If I were to just buy a brand new cage and new supplies, would I see some changes in behavior? I've said before I was going to just get a new cage but I haven't done it yet. She is in the cage she was bought with (they gave me her and everything that belonged to her).
No. The problem is being stuck in the cage and not being able to fly. Add to that no company.

What is her daily routine and how much time of the day do you give her your undivided attention?

A solitary bird is a lonely bird. That means this bird depends on you to be the centre of its universe. It's a pretty big job.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
However, I don't think I want another BCC. I adore Zazu bit I'd like something different and preferably a bit quieter. I would like her to bond with another bird just for her social benefits or possibly take in a cage mate if she allows it.

You made this post back in July. What you want and what Zazu wants aren't the same. Zazu is the one that needs help. A same species, opposite gender, similar age bird is your best bet of a successful friendship.

Reactions: Tim

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I have been told it is breeding season. Mine do get noisy during breeding season.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Zazu is lonesome.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mine screams for attention, he is demanding :)
Would music help ? I am also constantly talking to the bird when I am in sight.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
From your post it seems like Zazu wants attention. No matter how many toys are in the cage, he still requires interaction and attention. You are his flock, so he may be calling to get your attention. Plus, birds don't instinctually know how to "play" with toys. Try playing with one in front of him a few times a day for few days.

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
Update for all: I've been spending more time with her. I've been physically moving her cage next to me when I'm sitting down &Making conversation through out the house. Her screaming has subsided.

I feel bad she's been lonely! I may really begin looking at a male BCC. Around 1 and a half years old. If anyone knows of any available please send info my way!

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
You made this post back in July. What you want and what Zazu wants aren't the same. Zazu is the one that needs help. A same species, opposite gender, similar age bird is your best bet of a successful friendship.
What would be an acceptable age range for her, she's about a year and a half.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Update for all: I've been spending more time with her. I've been physically moving her cage next to me when I'm sitting down &Making conversation through out the house. Her screaming has subsided.

I feel bad she's been lonely! I may really begin looking at a male BCC. Around 1 and a half years old. If anyone knows of any available please send info my way!
If the bird wont come out or off of the cage, then the next best thing you can do is to move the cage around with you.

A new cage may or may not help.

Depending on how long she has been clipped, allowing her flight may or may not help.

Can you do target training with her in or on the cage? And reward her with favorite treats?

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Can you do target training with her in or on the cage? And reward her with favorite treats?
I highly recommend target training as well. If Zazu won't come out of her cage, is hand shy or aggressive, target training is a great hands off bonding exercise. Find out her favorite treat and go from there.

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
If the bird wont come out or off of the cage, then the next best thing you can do is to move the cage around with you.

A new cage may or may not help.

Depending on how long she has been clipped, allowing her flight may or may not help.

Moving the cage around works. I also know if she sees a plate with food on it in her reach, she will get off her cage to steal the entire plate. She tries to drag it back to her cage lol.

She's been clipped her entire life. The store I bought her from said she's never been given the chance to fly. I accidentally left her wings go and my vet said she was totally flighted..she never attempted. I've only seen her fly one time again, I let her wings grow too long and she was completely out of control she flew into things and in order to land, she flew into the wall. It wasn't pretty.. that's why she's clipped.

I haven't attempted to target train..I'll look into it and give it a shot!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She never learned how to properly fly, which is why she can't fly. Doesn't matter if she was able to fly as a fledgling, it's not enough time.

Target training can help to teach her how to fly, as well as how to land correctly. :)