• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm pretty sure its pica

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
So, my new kitten (the one that was recently treated for worms, eye and intestinal infection) she has been verrry odd... she is eating things off the floor and licking the floor and has taken a liking to the taste of my bike chain so i have been bringing it in the basement she doesnt have access to. . she doesnt really care for her food and only eats when our other cat eats.

how do i discourage this behavior? anyone else have a cat with the same behavior?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
What are you feeding? Wet, dry, soft moist? A cat licking at oil or grease has a vitamin deficiency of the oil soluable vitamins, a vet told me years ago. I provided vitamin A, E and one other I cannot remember right now and Fiona stopped licking non-organic oils. Your next problem to research is why the cat is not eating. Are the other cats keeping her from the food bowls? Does she eliminate properly and are her stools normal as compared to the other cats? Have you tried feeding her individually some wet food (more oil and fat in the wet food readily available for absorption than in the dry. What is her water intake like? You can isolate her for 24 hours and provide food and water and a litter pan to answer the question whether she has problems with her GI tract. Several of my cats have an affinity for margerine and butter as well as olive oil and I always let them have a little when they ask. Sometimes causes loose stool, but helps with the passage of hair in their GI tract.

Has she seen a vet? Does she have parasites?

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
she is the kitten that went in for worms, eye and intestinal infection. she was treated for all 3 with meds. its not just the bike chain.. she will lick the floor and eat dirt, lick shoes, eat misc things off the floor and she has eaten my hair before... i know, because i hadda help her get it out... it was hanging out.. icky..

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You did not answer what you are presently feeding. Do not feed soft moist food to cats, or any other animal; it is made primarily out of meat byproducts, grain and propolyne glycol (green antifreeze). Wet food gives much more oil and fat than dry food. Is the kitten able to actually eat the dry food? Some dry food are too hard or large for them to actually chew or even swallow whole. If you are feeding dry, you could moisten it with water or kitten milk replacer to make it easier to chew and swallow. Again, feed the kitten alone so you know she is eating. Check her stool to make sure her stools are normal; fatty/frothy stools indicate pancreatic/digestive problems, etc. It could be the antibiotics have killed off her bowel bacteria needed to assist her digestion and absorption of nutrients; there is a probiotic and a supplement available for the cure for that; Benebac and Missing Link come to mind. You give benebac from the syringe it comes in and missing link is sprinkled on food.

Have you determined if she is actually eating food?

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
yes, she is eating. she eats purina dry food for indoor cats. the only time she had wet food was when we crushed her dewormer up and mixed it in a small portion, and she doesnt even like the wet food much.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You could take her to the vet and check out her fecal flora and get a vitamin supplement for her. There are OTC vitamins. The ones I used to use were called Pet Tabs and were so tasty my cats thought they were treats and would eat them right down. I really think she needs a vet visit. But you really should give her a vitamin supplement.

As for not liking wet food, there was medicine in it, that is not a fair test for her 'liking' wet food. The wet food does have more fat and oils and good source for fat soluable vitamins. Your choice, you know.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
it wasnt in the whole can. i didnt wanna waste the rest of the can, so i put it in a dish next to her dry food and she snubbed it and ate the dry food instead.

she has a visit coming up within the week i think.. i know its before the 10th. she is getting her booster shots and a second dose of dewormer. also make sure she is gaining weight again. pretty sure she is. she has grown A LOT in 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.