• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm in love with Oliver

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
My roommate recently got a new young Quaker. His name is Oliver, and I'm in love with him. He's a bit cage aggressive, but once out of the cage he is cuddlie, sweet, gives lots of kisses and so funny. He likes to play with small objects, and adores head rubs. He's very smart, and so handsome.
I have been spending a lot of time with him, and I'm thinking about getting a Quaker of my own this spring. A local pet store carries lots of birds, and mostly babies. They only carry Quakers in the spring for some reason.
Is there much difference behavioral wise in male and female quakers? Id really like a female, but would love one who could become friends with Oliver.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
All Quakers are cage aggressive. Why that is, nobody seems to know.There is no guarantee that the two birds will bond, for they pick their friends just like you and I do. Your birdie will have a totally different personality than Oliver. He/she will be their own bird. It sounds like you and your roommate are really good care givers, and I think the bird that you get, will indeed be one lucky bird.

AviMom

We both love animals, and it was because of my roommate I fell in love with birds again. I had 2 parakeets when I was young, I had zebra finch and a Quaker in my 20s. The Quaker was my ex-husbands, and was very mean. I took him for a while, but my son got a nasty bite from him, and I adopted the Quaker to someone more experienced with birds.
I know all birds have their own personalities, and it may not get along with Oliver....i was just wondering if males did better together (usually) or male/females did better (usually).
I love the larger parrots, but I'm afraid of them. I seem to do better with smaller birds like the conures, cockatiels, and now Oliver. I just cannot find the courage to take a chance of being bitten by the African grays, or Amazon's. I talk to them, dance with them, feed them treats, and enjoy time with them, but cant get myself to go much further.
I did read here thst most Quakers are cage aggressive. The day after we got oliver, I tried to get him to step up from inside his cage. He gently, but assuredly bit me. I simply opens the top of his cage and came out on his own, then stepped up. Right after I came here and started researching them.
I'd have 100 birds, but I don't think I'd have enough hours in the day to be fair to them. (I'd be a bit messy too, lol). But we have lots of room, love, and time for the ones we have, and a new flock member is always welcome.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
My QP Ralph is not cage aggressive, but he is possessive of his food dish. He doesn't care what else I touch inside his cage, but hasn't quite learned not to bite the hand that feeds him. Gender seems to have little influence on behavior in QPs; a female Quaker might be feisty and loud, and a male could be gentle and quiet like Ralph. It's impossible to predict how any two parrots of either sex will get along. If you do get a QP, he or she needs his/her own space as does Oliver. They could get to be best friends, or they might dislike each other or they might each pretend the other doesn't exist. When bringing a second parrot into the house, you need to be prepared for anything, while always hoping for the best. :)

AviMom

Oliver resides in the bird room. Mine would be staying in my room with me. My roommate has too many species in one room to let them live cage free, however, they each get time out to play. I've been bringing Oliver into my room to play. So theres no issue if they do not get along, I'm just hoping for best case.
Oliver seems interested I the conures, and the conures in him. Since they have different beak types, I'm in no hurry to let them too close to each other. The conures will be vey sweet one minute, then suddenly get crabby. I don't trust them with Oliver, he's still very young.

Mama Kirs

Strolling the yard
My Teddy isn't aggressive towards us at all! Even my 4 year old daughter can handle him (pretty well actually...they get on great!). ❤ I can take him out of his cage, touch his stuff, his food....he's fine with that. Seems like I lucked out. The only one he dislikes is Mr. Biggles our Dachshund. The feeling is mutual.