• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Im in a crisis

HibiscusConure

Checking out the neighborhood
I made the mistake of taking my Sun Conure home a week before i went to Germany for a month. The day i got home he happily and willingly hopped onto my finger. At first i was glad that he wasn't holding a grudge against me being gone but almost immediately he bit my finger and held on for a good thirty seconds. Its day three and he doesn't want anything to do with anyone anymore and he threatens to bite me. He's been all puffed up since i got home and not sure what that means.(Maybe stress?) I think my bond with him has gone down the drain and I dont even know where to start. I'm a first time bird owner and my Sun Conure means the world to me! Advice???

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Just start it all over again. I will be fine, trust me. :)
Treat him like a new bird, sing to him, talk to him, and be in the same room, but don't interact with him. Let him come to you, he will. :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I agree with J.T.
Begin again. It will all work out.

Hope

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hope
He never really got to know you. A week isn't enough time to bond. I would just start offering treats from your hand and earn his trust. Sun conures are very adaptable. He will get to know you and bond with you. Be patient. Take is slow and give him time. :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I know he bit you once, but the lunging could just be a bluff. (If it's not; suck it up.) Don't let it stop you from working with him. Good luck!