• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm done adding birds to our flock for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do see some shelties with decent temperaments, but when i do see issues, it is typically those issues I mentioned. Typically, what we see is dogs whose issues present at about 10 months or so and they either improve....or they don't.
Oh absolutely :)

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
It's a mahogany sable and white :)

Here's one of the puppies, but I don't think it's ours in particular.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I will say that Shetlands are dogs that are very sensitive. They also listen well or don't. They will absolutely test and ignore you. They do not forget something ever. They are listening even though they ignore. People who don't understand this breed or their minds are often those who will give one up saying they don't listen. They do but generally on their terms unless you are stern with them.

Shelties can easily lose their trust to someone especially if taunted or if someone treats them badly or even scares them. They will hate that person and never forget them.

I have had an alpha Male and a very sweet submissive Male (currently) You just need to understand a herding breeds mind period. Mine have each had quirks, one who hated other dogs, didn't like kids, wanted to chase every car or bird flying overhead even on a leash. To one who spins and barks during thunderstorms to sniffing every door during a downpour. I believe this breed is often deemed nervous, flighty, but herders want to control things they view out of control which is a hard breed to have around because they are incredibly active. A busy herder, is a happy herder and they are not lap dogs so some do end up in the wrong homes for sure.

:D

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
My current sheltie is awesome at obedience. But his personality is one of snobbery towards me. I have never had a sheltie act that way before towards me. He will play with my husband and run to greet him at the door. (My husband does no obedience). When I come in, he looks over like "Oh it's you." But let me get out the training apron (where I put the treats) and that dog only has eyes for me. LOL

I tell my husband how unfair it is that MY dog ended up HIS dog.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
piercesdesigns said:
My current sheltie is awesome at obedience. But his personality is one of snobbery towards me. I have never had a sheltie act that way before towards me. He will play with my husband and run to greet him at the door. (My husband does no obedience). When I come in, he looks over like "Oh it's you." But let me get out the training apron (where I put the treats) and that dog only has eyes for me. LOL

I tell my husband how unfair it is that MY dog ended up HIS dog.
That is so much like Trax! If you have a toy or if you are doing agility he's all over you, otherwise his world revolves around daddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, they are all so beautiful! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.