• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm done adding birds to our flock for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's how I am. I love them all. Cats though I prefer to not have in my house. My daughter is allergic and I can't stand the litter box smell. So far we've had dogs, birds, cats(lived with in laws), iguanas, bearded dragon, anoles, ball python, hermit crabs, hamsters and fish. :hehe:
I'm just the opposite. I love cats and dogs but only keep the cats in the house. I keep my litter box scrupulously clean and in an unobtrusive area. I hate walking dogs in cold weather. Brrr.

That puppy is adorable! :)

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I used to be very active in sheltie rescue. I can tell you the reasons people turn them in.

Too much grooming

Too barky

Too hyper

Try to herd children

Will chase cars if given the chance

I love them, barkiness and all. They are awesome pets, but definitely need a person who is willing to be firm and obedience train.
Yep, I agree on all counts. Another big problem in my personal experience is poorly bred shelties can be EXTREMELY neurotic. I mean in addition to their already yappy hyper disposition. That was the problem with my Callie. She was adopted a few times and sent right back within a week. So they called me to help. She was on medications for years until they lost their effectiveness. Finally we had to put her down as she just got worse and worse. We had her for 6 years. The rescue coordinator apologized for giving her to me. If they would've known about her aggressiveness they would've put her down rather than adopting her out. I could write a book on all that was wrong with her. It tore my heart out to put her down :(

Smokey was our first sheltie and our reason for loving them so much. We got him from the SPCA. He was given up when he was 2 years old. He was severely underweight. They gave him up because he jumped their 4 foot fence repeatedly. He was not neutered so I'm guessing anytime a female in the neighborhood was in heat that he would've scaled a 10 foot fence if he needed to :D So we took him in. He was and is the best dog ever.

Lacy was actually owned by one person since she was a baby. When she was almost 9 they gave her up for adoption, saying that it was because when their 3 yr old squeezed her around the neck she snapped at the child. She was diagnosed with very early arthritis at 6 years old. Her joints already had very limited range of motion when we got her. So of course she snapped! She hurt all over! So even though the rescue knew that I had small children, after observing our children with her they knew that our kids were properly trained how to treat animals. Lacy was an awesome dog! She loved the snow. Even when she was 15 and it snowed she would run and play until she couldn't walk for 2 days from exhaustion. Every time it snows I think of her. She was so loving and sweet and I miss her terribly :(

Trax I did actually get from a breeder because I'm trying to get to compete nationally and his father and grandmother are both agility champions so he was bought rather than adopted for that reason.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

I'm just the opposite. I love cats and dogs but only keep the cats in the house. I keep my litter box scrupulously clean and in an unobtrusive area. I hate walking dogs in cold weather. Brrr.

That puppy is adorable! :)
I don't walk dogs. I have 1/4 acre fenced in and it's perfect sized for them. They run out, potty and run back in :D

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
OMG!!! I have been looking into what kind of puppy I want to adopt and this was one of them! Can you guys tell me more about yours? It would be very helpful! Also, where are you adopting yours Heather?
I'm adopting mine through the Shetland Sheepdog Club of Greater Baltimore, but I see you're in Southern California. Let's see what I can find.

Here's what I've found so far:

Southland Sheltie Rescue Inc. Home
Shetland Sheepdog Rescue

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Yay!!! My only addiction worse than birds is to dogs, I have 10:D How exciting for your daughter. Congrats!
YOU HAVE 10 DOGS? Holy poo in the backyard batman. wow. Are they all seniors. I think I remember reading you have a bunch of seniors you are letting live out there lives in comfort. That is still alot of dogs. I have 2 and some days I feel like..wow DOGS are everywhere.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Awww Shelties! I love them, they are so cute and adorable. Big personalities!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
YOU HAVE 10 DOGS? Holy poo in the backyard batman. wow. Are they all seniors. I think I remember reading you have a bunch of seniors you are letting live out there lives in comfort. That is still alot of dogs. I have 2 and some days I feel like..wow DOGS are everywhere.

Yes, 10 dogs and 4 are seniors. I have Slater 14 y/o Dachshund, Ivy 12 y/o Dachshund, Winnie 9 y/o Dachshund, Chico +10 y/o Chihuahua, Ribbon almost 5 y/o Dachshund, Thomas James approx. 6 y/o Dachshund, Fooey approx. 5 y/o Pekingese, Bill 5 y/o ACD, Carrot 2 y/o Dachshund, and Sonic 1 y/o Pomeranian. That's my clan:dance4: Uh yeah, I do a lot of poop scoopin'....

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yep, I agree on all counts. Another big problem in my personal experience is poorly bred shelties can be EXTREMELY neurotic. I mean in addition to their already yappy hyper disposition. That was the problem with my Callie. She was adopted a few times and sent right back within a week. So they called me to help. She was on medications for years until they lost their effectiveness. Finally we had to put her down as she just got worse and worse. We had her for 6 years. The rescue coordinator apologized for giving her to me. If they would've known about her aggressiveness they would've put her down rather than adopting her out. I could write a book on all that was wrong with her. It tore my heart out to put her down :(

Smokey was our first sheltie and our reason for loving them so much. We got him from the SPCA. He was given up when he was 2 years old. He was severely underweight. They gave him up because he jumped their 4 foot fence repeatedly. He was not neutered so I'm guessing anytime a female in the neighborhood was in heat that he would've scaled a 10 foot fence if he needed to :D So we took him in. He was and is the best dog ever.

Lacy was actually owned by one person since she was a baby. When she was almost 9 they gave her up for adoption, saying that it was because when their 3 yr old squeezed her around the neck she snapped at the child. She was diagnosed with very early arthritis at 6 years old. Her joints already had very limited range of motion when we got her. So of course she snapped! She hurt all over! So even though the rescue knew that I had small children, after observing our children with her they knew that our kids were properly trained how to treat animals. Lacy was an awesome dog! She loved the snow. Even when she was 15 and it snowed she would run and play until she couldn't walk for 2 days from exhaustion. Every time it snows I think of her. She was so loving and sweet and I miss her terribly :(

Trax I did actually get from a breeder because I'm trying to get to compete nationally and his father and grandmother are both agility champions so he was bought rather than adopted for that reason.

From a behavioral standpoint I see a lot of fearful, reactive and sound sensitive shelties.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
How exciting!!!:dance4:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
From a behavioral standpoint I see a lot of fearful, reactive and sound sensitive shelties.
Oh without a doubt! But a well rounded sheltie can be the total opposite. I think it's very dependent on their breeding. Trax is reserved with dogs and people he doesn't know, but never fearful. He is anything but sensitive. He definitely responds if he knows he did something wrong, but he doesn't cower. He's very headstrong, but that makes for an excellent agility dog. He can fall off agility equipment and just keep on going :hehe: Where a lot of shelties would shut down and be terrified of it after that. Actually my instructor has one of his half sisters and she had a mishap on the agility course and ever since has shut down. She's fine physically but she won't go near a course anymore :(

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Cute puppy congrats! I miss having my sable and white.....someday maybe but for now, I rescue from the Shelter. But I have always had a Sheltie. Shadow is my second Sheltie, he's a Rockwood puppy bred by Barbara Kenealy in CT. If anyone within the Sheltie world shows, she has been around since the 60's showing and breeding and she currently is an active AKC Judge.

McShadow Just in Time

Shelties are awesome dogs. As earlier mentioned they do require tons of grooming to keep them in good shape. I know, I spent well over an hour combing mine out and trimming today.

Sheltie rescue is a great thing, but they are safe in foster homes unlike the county shelter dogs that do not have that safe haven.

So I have both, rescues and a purebred :D

Last edited:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I love my shelties. I can't imagine having any other breed.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I love my shelties. I can't imagine having any other breed.
I completely agree with you, they are my breed for life. But after rescuing the Girls within the last 3 yrs, I have found that shelter mutts create a stronger bond to you than a breeder puppy. All dogs have bonded to me however, the Girls are just so clingy they know they have been saved.

I said before I'd be very torn with getting another Sheltie if something happened to my current boy. It will be something I will mull over forever because I always said I needed another Sable and White after losing my most striking Sable two mos shy of turning 8 yrs old. Shadow is now just a tad over 8 and in great health.

But after getting my Girls, there is something about a Heinz 57 Shelter mutt that makes me say my next dog will need to be a rescue as well. Shelters here are so full and there are just so many dogs that need homes.

I dunno, I miss the tiny puppy like you said, so maybe the next time I will just have to get another one. :o:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Well three of the four shelties I've had were rescues, so you can have the best of both worlds ;) My first sheltie was from the SPCA. Can't get more of a rescue than that :D In our area honestly, the majority of our shelter dogs are pit bulls or mixes and they are just too big and their breeding background too iffy for me. Not that I'm opposed to a well bred pit, but a rescue without any background history, I wouldn't trust it.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh and we see the puppy Tuesday night! They get their shots on Monday night and they are ready to go by mid January. Because they know me, I get the option to hold off neutering him until he's older. The others will be fixed when they are 11 weeks old. Studies show though that if you fix them before their growth plates are done settling that they can get long in the legs and since he's going to be doing agility we'd like his legs to be shorter so he doesn't have to jump more than 16".

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well three of the four shelties I've had were rescues, so you can have the best of both worlds ;) My first sheltie was from the SPCA. Can't get more of a rescue than that :D In our area honestly, the majority of our shelter dogs are pit bulls or mixes and they are just too big and their breeding background too iffy for me. Not that I'm opposed to a well bred pit, but a rescue without any background history, I wouldn't trust it.
I have seen Shelties turned in here. We also have Triangle Sheltie Rescue here as well. But what I see in the County here are alot of everything, Hound, Lab, Shep and Pit mixes along with purebreds who are turned in.

I am not a Pit person, never will be even to rescue a pit mix. Will not happen with me. As you said though, you never know. Both of mine are awesome dogs though.

As I see my Sheltie beside me snoozing..........yeah, I do miss having a puppy, it's been a good many years since he was little and I will probably break down and get another one.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I just looked at the laws and the calendar...this puppy is 8 weeks old today which means by law they can send him home with us on Tuesday! I wonder if they will still make us wait until January. They may just because they don't normally give dogs out during the holidays because of impulse decisions.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Oh without a doubt! But a well rounded sheltie can be the total opposite. I think it's very dependent on their breeding. Trax is reserved with dogs and people he doesn't know, but never fearful. He is anything but sensitive. He definitely responds if he knows he did something wrong, but he doesn't cower. He's very headstrong, but that makes for an excellent agility dog. He can fall off agility equipment and just keep on going :hehe: Where a lot of shelties would shut down and be terrified of it after that. Actually my instructor has one of his half sisters and she had a mishap on the agility course and ever since has shut down. She's fine physically but she won't go near a course anymore :(
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do see some shelties with decent temperaments, but when i do see issues, it is typically those issues I mentioned. Typically, what we see is dogs whose issues present at about 10 months or so and they either improve....or they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.