• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm Doing Something Wrong

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Why don't you give him some rocks? I wonder if he would fly overhead and drop them like missles! :rofl: That would be so funny to think about but wouldn't be funny at the time.
My goodness!

Elvis likes to fly to the top of cupboards...all I can think of is him dropping stones from there!

@sunnysmom ...watch out below! :scared3:

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
My goodness!

Elvis likes to fly to the top of cupboards...all I can think of is him dropping stones from there!

@sunnysmom ...watch out below! :scared3:
HAHAHA! Could you picture that?! I could so see them doing that! Freddy loves to drop those wood blocks on my head! If he's up on his perch and I bend to pick up something on the floor he will do that. The first time I was so surprised of course he got a dramatic reaction. LOL Now I look up at him and say REALLY? Then he chirps and I yip LOL. The rocks will stay on the floor. The day he carries them to the top of anything to drop them on us is the day he will lose the small ones in the foraging dish. HAHA that SHOULD be a while. We'll see....he is smart!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis and rocks would definitely be dangerous. As it is he can shoot clip pieces across the room and ping you with them or ricochet them off the ceiling. He used to be able to shoot the clips themselves by jamming one in his cage door and kicking the door with his foot. But since the lock broke he can't do that anymore. Which actually may explain why the lock broke............

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Elvis and rocks would definitely be dangerous. As it is he can shoot clip pieces across the room and ping you with them or ricochet them off the ceiling. He used to be able to shoot the clips themselves by jamming one in his cage door and kicking the door with his foot. But since the lock broke he can't do that anymore. Which actually may explain why the lock broke............
:rofl:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
HAHAHA! Are you KIDDING? OMG! He's way too smart! Could you picture a whole flock of ELVIS'? WOW! If you gave him a slingshot I bet he would figure out how to use it!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
HAHAHA! Are you KIDDING? OMG! He's way too smart! Could you picture a whole flock of ELVIS'? WOW! If you gave him a slingshot I bet he would figure out how to use it!
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a house left standing if I had a flock of Elvis's. LOL As it is, he took a chunk out of the cupboard door this morning. (Shhhh. Howie doesn't know yet.) They have another goffin at the rescue here and for like 2 seconds I thought- hmmm, maybe Elvis would like a goffin friend. And then I thought two? I have to be out of my mind. But maybe down the road a smaller bird since Elvis seemed to like @cassiesdad's little ones. But yes, I think given time Elvis could figure almost anything out. Slingshot, etc. LOL. He is just really way too smart.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a house left standing if I had a flock of Elvis's. LOL As it is, he took a chunk out of the cupboard door this morning. (Shhhh. Howie doesn't know yet.) They have another goffin at the rescue here and for like 2 seconds I thought- hmmm, maybe Elvis would like a goffin friend. And then I thought two? I have to be out of my mind. But maybe down the road a smaller bird since Elvis seemed to like @cassiesdad's little ones. But yes, I think given time Elvis could figure almost anything out. Slingshot, etc. LOL. He is just really way too smart.
Would another goffin's be more trouble or would it calm him down? I don't want to try another Galah with Freddy as I just don't know how friendly he would be. And I would want to treat them the same. The lovebirds I think I would only have in pairs, since they are velcro birds if not lol, which is great but I get nothing done in the house. Hmmm.....geez too bad about the cupboard! What a stinker!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Would another goffin's be more trouble or would it calm him down?
IMO, Elvis wouldn't really take to another 'too...at least right away. Maybe over a long period of time they'd become friends, like @JLcribber said...then TWO "Elvi" together would be EXTREMELY dangerous. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Like @sunnysmom said, Elvis took a definite shine to our littles...Buddy in particular. Elvis let Buddy preen his head, and made "cooing" noises at him...:heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
IMO, Elvis wouldn't really take to another 'too...at least right away. Maybe over a long period of time they'd become friends, like @JLcribber said...then TWO "Elvi" together would be EXTREMELY dangerous. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Like @sunnysmom said, Elvis took a definite shine to our littles...Buddy in particular. Elvis let Buddy preen his head, and made "cooing" noises at him...:heart:
Once things settle down a little more at our house, I hope to start fostering again. Then I can see how Elvis feels about having another bird on his turf so to speak. I think he definitely was accepting of the birds at Bob's house because he was the new bird. I'm not sure how he would feel with one coming into his territory. He is definitely a male 'too. A pretty sweet one. But still a 'too.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm not sure how he would feel with one coming into his territory. He is definitely a male 'too. A pretty sweet one. But still a 'too.
Point well taken...a defensive 'too is a dangerous 'too...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Once things settle down a little more at our house, I hope to start fostering again. Then I can see how Elvis feels about having another bird on his turf so to speak. I think he definitely was accepting of the birds at Bob's house because he was the new bird. I'm not sure how he would feel with one coming into his territory. He is definitely a male 'too. A pretty sweet one. But still a 'too.
If it worked at Bob’s. it’ll work at your place.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
If it worked at Bob’s. it’ll work at your place.
Agreed...

Elvis was indeed more skittish around Milton...but was happy when the littles came around...both Buddy and the tiels.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Agreed...

Elvis was indeed more skittish around Milton...but was happy when the littles came around...both Buddy and the tiels.
What kind of bird is your Buddy? My Buddy & Jay-Jay are lovebirds....I don't have the courage to let them out together. Freddy doesn't bother with their cage at all when he's out. The lovebirds stay away from him when their out. The lovebirds are very territorial so wasn't sure how all this would play out.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
....the lovebirds were even nasty to the other birds in their own flock! There could not be more than 2 per cage. They will hurt each other .

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
....the lovebirds were even nasty to the other birds in their own flock! There could not be more than 2 per cage. They will hurt each other .
Yea lovebirds aren’t usually a good mix with any other birds just for the reasons you said.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What kind of bird is your Buddy?
Buddy is a Nanday Conure. :nanday: :) He really doesn't interact with our other birds...unless they come near his food. :mad: Elvis was the first bird he actually acknowledged in any way...

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Yea lovebirds aren’t usually a good mix with any other birds just for the reasons you said.
I watch Freddy closely around their cage too. They are small but absolutely afraid of nothing. They will attack his feet if he lands on their cage. And I don't want to know what will happen if they land on his cage. They could squeeze between the bars! :eek: It would be very ugly. But they seem to know to stay away. No one has tried to bother anyone's cage. They seem to enjoy chatting with each other. Sometimes Freddy will screech and they will stop....now I wonder if that's why he does that lol.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
They are small but absolutely afraid of nothing. They will attack his feet if he lands on their cage.
Lovies are utterly fearless..it's one of their wonderful qualities...but it can obviously get them into extreme danger.

What you describe is what I call "Toe Patrol"....our budgies are known for it. ;) All the other birds...including Milton... know better than to land on the budgies cage....:D

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Would another goffin's be more trouble or would it calm him down?
We've thought about that, too. :chin:Hubby and I talked about what it would be like to have a friend for Luv Bug. We know it would mean double trouble, but it would be amazing for her to have someone to fly around with! After all, we got our 2nd dog (Jix) because our first (Nomi) had more energy than both of us and it worked out beautifully! We agreed that while we're not actively looking right now, if an individual came up that needed a home we would consider it then. :) He reminded me that Bug's cage has a divider... you know, should we ever need it. :rolleyes: Oy!

Last edited: