• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I'm concerned

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Hi, I'm kinda new to this website so I apologize if this isn't the right place to put my concerns. anyways I have a Fischer lovebird names Dante:fischers: who is only 5 months old. He was always the suborn type (one bird type) and he is really attached to me and I and also very attached to him. He has been puffing up a lot but he seems active and has his same behavior nothing out of the ordinary. His droppings are sometimes wet but its only once in a while. Iv'e heard that puffing is a symptom of illness, but he doesn't show any other symptoms but that. Which is why iv'e come here to see if its something life threatening or just normal. Please help me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
When is he puffing up? Sometimes birds puff up when they're sleepy or getting ready to sleep. Or if they're cold. Droppings can also be more wet depending on if they've just eaten fruit, etc. It's hard to say based on what you've described what's going on. A vet check is always a good idea if in doubt and a annual wellness check is also a good idea. If he's never been to a vet, it may be a good idea to get a wellness check just in case. What is his diet? Is he eating normally?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could he be cold? Is he eating and drinking OK? Does he puff every day? Birds do hide illness until they are so sick, they cannot hide it anymore BUT, I don't necessarily think that's what happening. Where did you get him? Pet store? Breeder?

How old is he or she? Is the bird DNAed?

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
he puffs up everyday he's being playful and acting normal he's only 5 months old i got him from a pet store

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
he eats and drinks everyday normally there hasn't been any change in his appetite

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
For how long? My lovies fluff up throughout the day for little naps. Outside of that they are active and eat well. It's perfectly normal.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
usually he just sits there and fluffs sometimes he takes a nap but most of the time he just sits perched and fluffed up

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
How much does he have in terms of enrichment / toys?

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
I try to have him play with toys and stuff he stays playing for a while before or after puffing

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I try to have him play with toys and stuff he stays playing for a while before or after puffing
What sort of toys? He might just not know what to do with them. I had one bird like that. He slowly got the hang of it once my other bird showed him what to do. Lovebirds like things they can thrash (like a bell) or shred to bits. Balsa and finger traps are good, if he doesn't already have those.

Edit. Do you give him time out of his cage to flap about, and if so, does he?

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Well he doesn't really have a cage with bars just a little open play area with a ladder, a perch, his food and water, and a little pouch where he goes into to sleep
i haven't bought any toys for him most his toys are just handmade or anything i can find for him to chew and play with

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Oh, and has he been to see a vet for a wellness check yet? If not, it might be worth taking him to see an avian vet.
well i want to take him to a vet but i'm not sure if its urgent or something normal

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
He also bites on the wood of his little play are is that normal...

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If everything else is normal, it sounds to me like he might just be bored and lacking in things to do. You don't have to go all out with toys, but certainly he should have a decent amount to chew up and play with at all times.

A cage might be a good idea just in case of emergency. He doesn't have to be trapped in there, but it's a good idea for them to have their own enclosed space if you need to move him about for whatever reason. It also would give you a good anchor point to put things for him to play with or on.

well i want to take him to a vet but i'm not sure if its urgent or something normal
Regardless, he should see an avian vet to get a baseline recording of his health, and to check everything is actually okay. They can be very sneaky with infections.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Edit: there are vendors here that will sell toy parts. I've found that my two tend to gravitate more towards little foraging bowls consisting of little bits and pieces of that nature. It would also work out much cheaper for you.

Side questions: what are you feeding him and do you use things like cleaning products around him, scented candles, or do you use anything with Teflon?

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
I just feed him seeds, i try to open up his variety of food but he's a really picky eater,and no I have never used cleaning producs or anything like that around him

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I just feed him seeds, i try to open up his variety of food but he's a really picky eater,and no I have never used cleaning producs or anything like that around him
I would encourage you to keep trying with other foods like pellets and veg. Lovebirds are notoriously picky, but they come around. Try giving him pellets with a small amount of seed and separately, some vegetables first thing in the morning. You can also pretend to eat it yourself to get him interested. Otherwise, practice portion control. About a smallish tablespoon and a half a day to two tablespoons is good. Add some pellets to the seed mix and up the ratio until you see him eating them. You have to keep trying though. It will be worth it in the long run. :)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he's spending a lot of time fluffed up, that's worrisome. Does his weight seem the same? A vet visit would give you peace of mind, and a baseline like @LunaLovebird said.

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
Well his weight is the same and also thanx for all the advice Luna lovebird
Also a small thing I mentioned earlier is that he's been chewing on the wood of his little playhouse is that normal?