• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm coming here about my cats because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Just curious...What does the term "micro-manage" mean, in relation to having cats?

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
I'm familiar with litter box issues although mine have been due to health issues not territory issues so I've been able to retrain to using the litterbox with positive reinforcement. The behaviorist on My Cat from Hell, Jackson Galaxy, is awesome. He recommends having plenty of vertical places (cat trees, shelves for cats to climb onto, etc) as well as exercise. The vertical places expand the room the cats have and many cats feel more comfortable when they are up. Exercise will help get rid of some of that energy that is being used on Katie. He's even recommended leash training cats. I am very impressed with the results he gets. Here is his website- Jackson Galaxy . The catification section has some cool ideas for making living spaces more cat friendly.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm not sure if this has been said but have they seen a vet? I've heard pee problems can be kidney/bladder related issues. Like kidney stones, etc.

meaggiedear

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meagan
I'm not sure if this has been said but have they seen a vet? I've heard pee problems can be kidney/bladder related issues. Like kidney stones, etc.
This is true. It can be down right painful for them to use litter when they have these sorts of problems so they look for a softer place to go.

But the OP said she's had multiple labs run on them and the vet determined it to be behavioral so it's probably safe to rule that out.

dexterbirdie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Emily
This is killing me. A guy came and looked at her today and wants to take her on Wednesday once he gets ready for her.. I explained all of the issues she has, and she will be an only cat with a retired man in his finished/insulated/heated shop with access to the outside. His wife is allergic, so she won't be in the house. She would have her very own dog (She LOVES my big dog Buddy more than anything, except food) that likes cats. As for the height thing, we have 3 large cat trees, two were made by me and they LOVE them.

I'm second guessing everything. I've had her for her ENTIRE LIFE and I really feel like I'm just ditching her because I can't handle her. She seemed to like the guy. But I don't want her to go. But she's just. Not. Happy. I've been sobbing all day because I know she would be better off somewhere else, but I brought her into my home for life. I AM RESPONSIBLE for her. I just don't have the space to micromanage all three cats to keep them happy without one being miserable at some point.

:sad7: I worry that she won't be okay and she will run off or something horrible.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Why not do a trial period with him? Make sure you see where he lives!:)

I know cats take moving badly and if they're allowed outside immediately after the move they can wander off and get lost.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
She needs to be confined to the shop a minimum of two weeks, and preferably at least a month in order to view it as her new *place*. That's the standard protocol for relocating cats that are trapped, spay/neutered, and then released to anywhere other than their old location. For myself, I've kept such cats confined in their new area at least two months, and even then there's a risk that they will try to find their old *home* and get lost/killed in the process.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Micromanaging cats is giving each cat their own space, never leaving them out of their space unsupervised and constantly making sure fighting and bullying does not happen between them. It is called micromanagment because the cats are constantly under supervision when they are outside of their habitat. It is the only way to break really bad behavior problems like urination and fighting. I have never had a micromanaged cat need more than three months of managment before finally fiting into my colony.

Emily, perhaps allowing her to go to his new home is the answer to her unhappiness. All the right requirements are being met and like it was suggested, it can be a trial period. If it does not work out, you can take her back and try again. I understand your distress about having to rehome her; but perhaps this is the answer to your problem.

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
Do you have an update? I assume that Ponyo went to her new home and I was wondering how everybodynis doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.