• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm Buying a New Bird and Need Help

That_Bird_Girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Savannah
Hi! I'm looking to buy a new bird and need help picking one. I'm a college student, so I'm not gonna be home for a while. Also, I would like a bird who can get a long with Mabel, my Sun Conure. By that I mean not getting jealous or mad when I pet the other bird. A bird that's no bigger than a Mini Macaw would work fine for me. I know these demands don't mix very well, but I'm having trouble doing it myself. It would mean so much to me if you would help!

(Sorry I started this in behavior byway, I'm new here) :huh:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Another conure. Same species is your best bet. A jenday conure. However they may never get along or become best best friends - the sort that become inseparable (mates) and prefer eachother over people.

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
As i said a Ring-Neck Dove Is a really good one it doesn't need attention but you gotta have a wide big cage and lots of perches and parakeets and conures are good cagemates for the ring neck dove

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Hi! I'm looking to buy a new bird and need help picking one. I'm a college student, so I'm not gonna be home for a while. Also, I would like a bird who can get a long with Mabel, my Sun Conure. By that I mean not getting jealous or mad when I pet the other bird. A bird that's no bigger than a Mini Macaw would work fine for me. I know these demands don't mix very well, but I'm having trouble doing it myself. It would mean so much to me if you would help!

(Sorry I started this in behavior byway, I'm new here) :huh:
There are no guarantees they would get along.. however they still could keep each other company, but from a distance. I understand your dilemma, I am away from home from 8:30-4:00 M-F. My husband is home more but he is an inspector and is busy in his office. I have a parakeet, Gary and and a Red-Bellied baby parrot, Keoki. Gary wants to be social, Keoki does not, and I know he will hurt Gary. I will never allow them out at the same time. They are on separate sides of my living room. My husband forgot about quarantine (I wasn’t happy) and allowed the birds out together at the same time on the same stand. He learned quickly that Keoki wanted to hurt Gary. But on the flip, they do keep each other company, but from a distance. Radio helps too.

Last edited:

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you all so much! This has really helped me!
Gary is a hands off bird that I rescued from neglect. He’s the sweetest lil thing that talks and sings. But he’s not my kinds of bird. But he’s happy, and that makes me happy. Keoki is like Velcro. He wants to be with me 24/7. But he’s a baby and has different needs then Gary. I really like being his center. If I didn’t have Gary, I’d only have Keoki
as a single bird. We’d manage.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Why isn't he 'your kind of bird'?
He just a hands off bird. And that’s ok. He is doing great and is very happy. But he is a very nervous bird. He was stuck in a cage for the first year of his life. We are opening his cage allowing freedom. He got his first taste of green leaf lettuce today. 3 weeks ago to him it was poison. :pinklol2: Poor guy.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Oh ok that’s what I thought. Sorry I thought I misunderstood. Parakeets are everywhere. This lil guy came from Petco. I always see parakeets at Petco.