• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm back after some time

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Hi everyone,
I've been absent for quite long time due to drastical changes in my life. The changes are not for the better unfortunately. In fact the worst hasn't happen yet but it will almost for sure.
Anyway, the post is not about that.
Before some of you suggested to me to get another parrot when I asked. So here I am asking again. Is this a good idea to get another parrot? I have a TAG, Edgar, who is a little more than a year old now, and he is with me 10 months now. I'm considering a companion for him. I still have the same amount of time and attention for him, so it is not because of changes in my life. It is because I want him to be happy.
I'm considering another TAG (but it will cost greatly), or a cockatiel (still don't know if it is a good idea).
Any advice, please?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I wish I had a good suggestion for you but I think the other Grey owners would know best. In the meantime you might play some videos of other Tags with him sitting nearby to see how he reacts. And Welcome back!!!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes! Welcome back! It's been quite awhile!

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I wish I had a good suggestion for you but I think the other Grey owners would know best. In the meantime you might play some videos of other Tags with him sitting nearby to see how he reacts. And Welcome back!!!
It is a good idea about this videos. I will try this. Thank you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome back! Nice to see you posting again ❤:hug9:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Joanna! I did wonder where you were. So sorry you are facing some challenges. I hope for the best.

I don't have any suggestion about adding a friend for Edgar. I'm sure some of the TAG owners will have an opinion.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome back. I don't like mixing beak sizes- so unless you plan to never have them out together, I wouldn't get a cockatiel. I'm fostering a tiel now with Elvis and I don't let them out together. Too big of a risk. I would probably go with another TAG.

@BirdGuy21 ?

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Welcome back. I don't like mixing beak sizes- so unless you plan to never have them out together, I wouldn't get a cockatiel. I'm fostering a tiel now with Elvis and I don't let them out together. Too big of a risk. I would probably go with another TAG.

@BirdGuy21 ?
Yes. I also though about it. And I would like to let them out together. That is the point. I want them to interact together.
With another TAG the cost is the problem. Here in Poland there are no options for adoption. I would have to buy another bird. Plus the cage.
Do not know what to do. Plus I read that greys are not always happy with another bird.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Welcome back! :) Does Edgar seem unhappy to you? I know almost all birds benefit from another bird around, regardless of whether they want to be buddies or not. If you don't think you can afford another bird, I wouldn't recommend one for right now. Tiels are great birds, but be sure to get the bird you really want, even if it means saving up to do so. Edgar will notice if you're stressed about the finances of taking on another bird though, so if he seems happy, I would say to wait.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@AutumnRain in fact Edgar already noticed that I'm stressed. I can see it. But he doesn't seem unhappy, at least I don't think so. I mean, he is a little different because of my stress, but doesn't seem lonely. I just wanted to get another bird for him so he has someone to talk to when I'm at work. He is still young, so I thought it would be easier for him to accept a companion.
It is not that I want a Tiel because I cannot afford another TAG. I genuinely like Tiels and I thought it would be a good idea. What I mean is, I cannot afford another TAG right now, yes, but Tiel is not a cheap substitute for me. Tiel is a Tiel and I like them for them, not because they cost less.
@sunnysmom mentioned beak sizes and I think she is right. This might be a problem.
Another thing is, when I read your post about waiting a while... well maybe I shouldn't make big decisions right now. I will wait a while not only to save money for a TAG, but to give myself time. I'm really stressed now so maybe waiting is a good idea, and then I can make decision with a clearer mind. Who knows when it will be.
Do you think Edgar will accept another bird even when he is older?

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It's a question that no one will be able to answer with all certainty. He may, or he may not. Plan everything out for a worst case scenario and then ask yourself if you are in a position to manage that scenario.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
It's a question that no one will be able to answer with all certainty. He may, or he may not. Plan everything out for a worst case scenario and then ask yourself if you are in a position to manage that scenario.
Yes, this is the way I'm thinking. I realize that I might end up with two birds who need my attention separately. This would be a problem, because each of them would get less time with me. I will have to divide my time in half. I just thought I could let them out together in the room and hope they will not chase each other to kill. If they don't like each other, they will just sit in oposite corners and don't mind each other.
Or do you think they might fight? This is what I'm most worried about.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@AutumnRain in fact Edgar already noticed that I'm stressed. I can see it. But he doesn't seem unhappy, at least I don't think so. I mean, he is a little different because of my stress, but doesn't seem lonely. I just wanted to get another bird for him so he has someone to talk to when I'm at work. He is still young, so I thought it would be easier for him to accept a companion.
It is not that I want a Tiel because I cannot afford another TAG. I genuinely like Tiels and I thought it would be a good idea. What I mean is, I cannot afford another TAG right now, yes, but Tiel is not a cheap substitute for me. Tiel is a Tiel and I like them for them, not because they cost less.
@sunnysmom mentioned beak sizes and I think she is right. This might be a problem.
Another thing is, when I read your post about waiting a while... well maybe I shouldn't make big decisions right now. I will wait a while not only to save money for a TAG, but to give myself time. I'm really stressed now so maybe waiting is a good idea, and then I can make decision with a clearer mind. Who knows when it will be.
Do you think Edgar will accept another bird even when he is older?
When I first got Sunny, my cockatiel, I thought- I have to get him a friend. Some very wise bird owners told me- never get a bird for your bird. Only get a bird if you want another bird. There's no guarantee they will get along. Then it becomes twice the work, twice the expense, etc. I ultimately decided that Sunny much preferred having all of my attention than sharing me with another bird. Now, that's not true with all birds obviously. But I believe it was the right decision for us at the time. So, I think you should take some time and really thing about if YOU want a second bird. I tagged at Birdguy21. Hopefully, he'll see the tag. I know he's been busy. He has multiple greys- both his own and fosters. So he would be a good person to give you some advise.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Aww, I'm glad he doesn't seem unhappy or lonely at least. I hope you can de-stress some for your sake as well. I'm sorry you have so much that you're dealing with right now. :sadhug2:

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Only get a bird if you want another bird. There's no guarantee they will get along. Then it becomes twice the work, twice the expense, etc. I
Oh Yes. This is very wise. Thank you.

I tagged at Birdguy21. Hopefully, he'll see the tag. I know he's been busy. He has multiple greys- both his own and fosters. So he would be a good person to give you some advise.
Thank you. I am very interested in his opinion.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Of my 13 fids, only 2 are bonded. Most tolerate each other, and one will attack with the intent of harming. I bring my equal sized birds out in harmonious groups, and rotate their out times No big bird, little bird combos here. Just don't want to take any risks.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It seems reasonable. So no Tiel right now. I don't want Edgar to become a murderer for an innocent bird. For no bird for that matter and with this size difference it could end badly.
Well, you just can't let them out together. As I mentioned, I currently have a 'too and a tiel. I get Elvis, my 'too out first. He flies and plays for awhile. Then, I get Scooter, the tiel out. Then when I leave for work, they're in separate cages but in the same room. They definitely follow each other- eat at the same time, nap a the same time, preen, etc. So, they're company for each other. Then, when I got home from work, I do the reverse, Scooter gets out for awhile. Then he goes to bed. Then, Elvis gets out. It's some extra work but it's doable. You just have to take the proper precautions.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Imogena! Welcome back!!!

I don't have much to add other then if you decide to get another fid, you have 2 places you may be able to get a cage from used. You just have to disinfect etc. (Many here recommend F10). I personally haven't used it.

Craigslist.com & I looked this one up online...

Something called Gumtree (as a used item online site similar to craigslist)

How's Edgar? I'm sorry life's being difficult right now. :gbh: