• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Illiger's Macaw with kids?

Which Parrot Species do you recommend?

• Illiger's

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Severe

• Red Front

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Other

• Total voters

WedgesDad

Moving in
So this is too soon to think about this, but it's a good distraction. We lost our Hahn's Macaw on Sunday and we are all taking it pretty hard. She was young (4 years) and it was sudden.

We have decided living in a bird free home isn't an option for us. We want another Macaw because I like their personalities, but we don't feel like we can get another Hahn's. It doesn't feel right. So, we've been looking at Illiger's and Severes but need a little guidance. We've also looked at Red Fronts but I'm afraid they may be a little too big.

We have a dog and a three year old. We may have more children in the future. The dog isn't a concern except from an activity level - they will be kept separate at all times. I'm looking for a bird that can be a good fit and go to any of us. I've read Severe's can be one person birds so I'm not sure if that will work.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Any of the parrots you listed would be fine - it depends on how you manage the bird. I always recommend getting an adult bird rather than a baby. An adult has his personality settled while a baby may change many times.

Welcome to AA

WedgesDad

Moving in
Thanks, Mary. Good advice. I had always heard that getting them younger was better if we were going to try to integrate him with our younger family members. Also, any Macaw I get will either have to be shipped (which I hate) or I'll be driving across country to get them. The closest I've found is 6 hours away.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Honestly, I've only ever had a hahn's macaw, so I can't give advice for which type of macaw to go with. He passed away last June and were are only now expanding. He had a lot of biting issues and I would not let him near my daughter, ever. I have a toddler (she'll be 4 in September) and we've had a bird in her life since day 1. Currently we live with my 11 year old nanday conure, whom I don't let her touch (he is particular and she loves too fast), a lovebird which we consider her bird, but he's not hand tame yet. A rose breasted cockatoo that I do allow her to touch, feed, and play with under supervision, and a pionus, which isn't home yet. I suggest visiting with birds and seeing how each interact with you and your toddler. There were other cockatoos that were around when we decided to add one to our flock, but neither of them had the personality and calm temperament of our boy. They spooked easily and were more than just nippy.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Thanks, Mary. Good advice. I had always heard that getting them younger was better if we were going to try to integrate him with our younger family members. Also, any Macaw I get will either have to be shipped (which I hate) or I'll be driving across country to get them. The closest I've found is 6 hours away.

I'm guessing then that you don't have any rescues near that you could visit - my personal philosophy is the bird will pick you, but I realize in this case that might not be practical. I have no experience with the mini-macaws, and like Mary said, I feel adult birds are a bit easier to handle because they are who they are.

I can only speak to the limited experience I have with my bird and the children he's met. I tutor, and sometimes, I become friendly enough with a family and will have them over. It's just a visit but, two of the little girls were very active. There's also a two year old and a nine year old he's met. Sam didn't seem to mind them, they weren't allowed to touch him, but he didn't get upset having them there. Mind you, they were just visitors and he is an adult bird, so it's not exact, but it's the closest experience I have with Sam and kids.

Good luck with your search!

meccaughly

Checking out the neighborhood
Ive been researching macaws firvseveral months and have settled on a red fronted macaw over an illiger based on reading that tge red fronted can bond with the family where an illiger is more of a one person bird. But that is just research i dont have a macaw of ny own yet.

I have also read extensively that a severe macaw is not for families and can be extremely difficult but that is also just from research and not experience.

Doctress

Strolling the yard
This pains me to say... but I wouldn’t recommend a Severe. They’re named that for a reason! Any bird can be trained/reconditioned, but I think it would be much harder. I got my Georgie Girl when I was a pre-teen and she was young. She was hand-tame, but would bite & draw blood frequently for the first 5 yrs. She wasn’t intended to be a “family pet”- more of a companion for the Amazon. She was quite aggressive- so much that we thought she was a male, until she laid an egg. She would chase me down stairs, flying and biting any part of me she could get to. She bit through my thumbnail once, and bit my forearm, puncturing a vein and causing a big bruise.

Over time, she softened, and we bonded. She was very possessive- she charged after a very docile foster puppy, wings out and attitude blazing. She tolerated boyfriends/husbands, but needed to be in the room if we were sitting together. I was caring for my grandmother, and was not sleeping at home- she started feather plucking, which became a habit. My mother was eventually able to have her step up, and they interacted, but she was clearly MY bird. Anyone else getting close to her would get the wrath of the beak.

Through the years, she became a great companion, and liked nothing more to perch on me and cuddle, or lay in my lap while I held her like a baby. She would call/scream my name until she got some hands-on attention or knew were I was at all times.

This is just my experience, but from what I’ve read, it’s not uncommon. Severe macaws are frequently surrendered and re-homed due to their difficult behavior. I would definitely NOT trust a young child around a Severe macaw. Teenager at the most, with lots of patience.

Last edited:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Personally I'd pick a Red Front. I'd separate size from temperament, and look more at temp. I don't have a red front, but that was my 2nd choice when I got a macaw (I went with a green wing, based on temp. She's great for our family, loves everyone, but she is rather large.)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have very little first hand experience, but it seems the red front has the sweeter and more consistent personality of the ones on your list. Some males can get a little hard headed later in life. If given the option, choose a female. I haven't heard much worse than some adolescent pinching and screaming from red fronts and sometimes plucking as they age. I've heard quite a few red fronts turn into freakishly amazing talkers. I've heard lots of people complain about hard headed, one persony, biting severes and just plain crazy/fearful/biting/plucking illigers. Illigers were all the rage for a while, but I'm not sure they lived up to their reputation once enough people got experience with them.