• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'll be in my room... doing.... things

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
As I'm sitting in the living room right now, trying to gather the energy to take a shower, I can hear Dio practicing vocabulary! I really didn't think he'd talk, and that was fine by me, as I love the sounds he makes naturally. But he's in the bedroom saying good boy, step up, hello, hi Dio, step up good boy Dio, whistling, and imitating our lovebird squeaks. I've heard him say hi baby one time but I never heard it again, so assumed it was a fluke. He just likes to practice in private!

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Soo cute! I didn't know galahs could talk!
I've heard a bunch that can talk, they have such cute voices. I wish I could record it but between the dog whining and the lovebird doing his morning things, it would never be heard. I hope he'll do it when i'm actually in the room some day.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh, amazing! That's a lot of phrases! Gotta love a talking pink bird!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Right now, Dio has the "Michigan J Frog" syndrome going. (For all of you not knowing what I'm talking about...Michigan J Frog is a character in the "Loony Tunes" cartoon series...he talks only to one person, not to the rest of the world ;))

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Rhubarb really only ever did private talking, except when she wanted something. I remember once when I was leaving the room and she yelled "Hey Girl!" as clear as day. That stopped me and brought me back to give scritches and praise... exactly what she wanted!

As she's trained me better over the years, she's become less vocal. She now does a kind of parrot sign language combined with spoken shorthand and I understand her about 3/4 of the time. Face puff with high-pitched whisper-quiet "sssse" means please tell me "Who's a good girl?" while giving me face pets. Intermittently lifting her foot to her break while chirping with the request tone (medium loud, pitching up at the end) after I tell her to go to her cage means please pick me up and carry me so I don't have to fly.

I think it's safe to say that however our birds speak, it really builds relationship when we stop and try to listen for what they're trying to say!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
lifting her foot to her break while chirping with the request tone (medium loud, pitching up at the end) after I tell her to go to her cage means please pick me up and carry me so I don't have to fly.

:coffeescreen: So adorable! She sounds like a little Diva. :ballerina: