• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If You Trim Your Birds Nails....

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
oh Lady Jane, I am a bit envious of those who can trim their bird's nails...I love Louise but am not very good at physically handling her. If I tried to trim her nails, she would trim my fingers. I struggle to towel her despite being showed how a couple of times. I fear the beak and even more so,fear injuring her. I've had her almost 2 years and I need to get over it and handle her...I read the warnings about holding to tight yet she is very squirmy... Any advice for learning?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My bird are so used to it ...they just lay there on they're backs,,look at me...like hey, let's get this over with. I got bird things to do..

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I trim some of my birds nails. (I don’t do Twilights because he’s so emotionally sensitive). In addition to the tips in the article, I find it easiest to cover my birds head with the towel. They seem calmer this way and squirm less.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I do my two with my partner's help. Anakin doesn't like it, but he is totally manageable. He'll just lie there and wait until it's over. Luna HATES THE NAIL CLIPPERZ :rant::rant::rant::rage::rage::rage:

I have to towel her, and try and make it so she can't see. Even then, it's a struggle. She moves around so much, I get scared I'll hurt her, but we always seem to manage fine. She generally wants nothing to do with me for a good half hour afterwards.