• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If parrotlets are so smart, why do they get angry with their poop?

Known Space

Meeting neighbors
You heard me.

So like any parrot, mine poops. And when she does, she's mad at her poop. So she bites her poop out of anger. And then she's angry at how gross her poop tastes, so she retaliates against her poop by biting in it again.

This is a neverending cycle of poop and anger.

They're supposed to be the problem solving geniuses of the parrot world. But how come they haven't figured out the simple cause and effect relationship between how gross poop tastes and biting into it?

Discuss, fellow parrotlet parents.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Eeeeer.... Mine has never done that... :huh: Which I'm, in a way, very glad for :rofl:

But mine keeps doing things he is not allowed to so he spends his time in detention. :kickout:half a minute out, in again, half a minute out, in again... He knows he is not allowed but it seems he can't help himself :chillout:, I don't know and I don't care, he is not allowed :aarules:, no excuse:watching:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So she bites her poop out of anger. And then she's angry at how gross her poop tastes, so she retaliates against her poop by biting in it again.
You must stop her for doing that. The poop can make her really sick.
And I have never had a bird doing that so it's not normal behavior.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:huh:
That's really not normal.

It's possible she's missing something from her diet in way of vitamins or minerals and is trying to make up for that, though I've only ever seen/heard of birds eating it after it's dried.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Does she have a grate on the bottom of her cage? She really should if she is doing that. It’s not very hygienic. Keoki did that a couple of times but he’s a baby, so I chalk it up to curiosity and inexperience. I haven’t seen him do it since then.

Known Space

Meeting neighbors
Haha, I've actually read it from several other parrotlet owners. My post was mostly light-hearted. Just thought it was funny how she attacks her poop. She's not actually eating it or trying to ingest it. She just sees it, gets mad at it and attacks it haha. So I'm not worried about her health.

Yeah she doesn't do it in her cage, actually really only when she sits on or near us.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I don't know about parrotlets but... Ok, I'll confess. I really don't like some kind of cheese (I don't know how it is in English, but it's not important). Sometimes though I eat this cheese just to feel how awful it is. I make faces, I say: owww, this is terrible, and eat another bite.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
My sun will look at it as if it were going to come alive or something. When he poops from his cage on an outside perch, he watches it all the way down to the floor in complete fascination then just stares at it for a bit. I thot that was kinda strange. :shrug:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Haha, I've actually read it from several other parrotlet owners. My post was mostly light-hearted. Just thought it was funny how she attacks her poop. She's not actually eating it or trying to ingest it. She just sees it, gets mad at it and attacks it haha. So I'm not worried about her health.

Yeah she doesn't do it in her cage, actually really only when she sits on or near us.
so basically, she is yelling at you for having poops lying around in your house. :madwife::marievacuums:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Nope. These are fresh poops IMMEDIATELY after making them. And she is yelling at her poops.
yes, I got that. Still, I can see her complaining at the mess in your house! :roflmao: