• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Identify this bird?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Awwhh, Robin, I’m really hoping for a good update soon! :fingerscrossed: There is no doubt in my mind that you would be the best home for that adorable little Regent parrot.
Thank you!!:heart: Shelter opens at 9, it is 7:23 now:rolleyes: I hate waiting:p

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh Guys... nothing yet from the regent(shelter still not even opened), so I am feverently hoping still.
But.. I was on the list of a bird vet up north who takes birds in as well. I told them a while back I have a spot for ‘unadoptable’ birds, so should they have one, they could e-mail me and I would see what I could do.. they just e-mailed about an almost blind lovebird who is very sweet. What stupid woman am I for getting on such a list:rofl: I don’t know what I was thinking:shy: I really hope I can get to pamper the little regent but should they rehome him to the people who first inquired about them(they don’t scan the homes for birds, it’s like hey I want to adopt that bird, and then you can for a €15 fee), I might see what the possibilities are. Another lovebird is not really on my list as my two are bonded and I would be scared to upset that harmony, but if she is almost blind and laid back like it sounds, hhhmm. They are very caring so if it didn’t work out they would gladly take her back. I am envisioning a little Peanut:D I told them my situation and that I would difinitly be interested to know more to judge whether it could be a good fit:)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:faint: This is getting crazy! :laugh: lol

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
:faint: This is getting crazy! :laugh: lol
It is! I want to bring home the regent so bad, I already have a name I am thinking off and cleaned out the cage today:shy::D But I Will only get him if the other people decide not to adopt him.. So I think my chances have slimmed quite a bit with him.
With the little lovie, they are a wild bird hospital with usually Some adoptable birds around. The info I have now is that they don’t wether she can fly(being blind) as she is an a small cage at the moment. So perhaps she is not all the way blind? Anyway, they are getting back at me after closing time(16:00, it’s almost 15:00 so just an hour!).
If she is indeed an older girlie(gender is unknown though) and mostly blind, I would love to foster her for them and then possibly adopt.
But I am not sure whether I should, as my view so far has been only to take in a rescue that REALLY needs me or one that I feel a special connection with.
Soo I am still torn!(and that makes me ramble a lot as you might be able to tell:lol:) But when I get Some more info (and a picture hopefully!) on this little girl I Will let you know whether I still have a heart or whether she stole the last remaining piece:D

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Since you already have a strong feeling about the regent, wait to find out about him first. A different species may be less likely to upset the Henkie-Fëanor balance than a female lovie despite her age.

If the other people do adopt him, then go meet the little lovie to see how you feel. There is a slim chance you may not feel a connection despite her adorable Peanut-ness. :pflb: That would only mean your next bird is still on its way to you. :pinksmile: (Universe, remember?) And if you do get the lovie, whether or not she can see or fly won't make one bit of difference. She and you can easily work around any obstacles together.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Since you already have a strong feeling about the regent, wait to find out about him first. A different species may be less likely to upset the Henkie-Fëanor balance than a female lovie despite her age.

If the other people do adopt him, then go meet the little lovie to see how you feel. There is a slim chance you may not feel a connection despite her adorable Peanut-ness. :pflb: That would only mean your next bird is still on its way to you. :pinksmile: (Universe, remember?) And if you do get the lovie, whether or not she can see or fly won't make one bit of difference. She and you can easily work around any obstacles together.
Ooh you are amazing with words! That is exactly how I feel:heart: For the regent I am ready to go get him tomorrow if they let me adopt him, but for the lovie, I have set a time schedule for myself of at least two weeks to think it over. I am in love with my babies already of Course, any additional baby would be another treasure but my flock is also amazing as is:xflove:
I mean, am I really sure I want another messy feathered gremlin:D

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You do. You just don't know which one yet! :p
Oh well pretending doesn’t work here:rolleyes: We are all afflicted so we see right through the disguise:embarassed: I am keeping myself to the two week schedule for the lovie though! Marked the days already as I don’t want to make a hasty decision:D

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
O... I.. I can’t Hell myself but fall in love dang! Girlie has been there for weeks, barely doing anything but sitting in a corner. She is not a peachie but an eye ring species. The regent Will possibly be picked up tomorrow sadly. But who knows, perhaps they got cold feet! And well, if suddenly after three weeks from now they get him back, ah well I looked over all the possibilities and I Will still have a cage available then:rolleyes: So at the moment it is looking like I won’t be able to adopt the regent:( But there is this little girl that makes my heart jumo at the sight of her! I don’t want to make a rash decision, but it is looking like either way, I Will have a new flock member soon:wideyed::heart:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Forgot the picture! How could I!
But here she is:
3D299C8C-84AA-4665-B12F-DBC51AE8AEC1.jpeg
The lady I talked to Said she has not even perched from what they saw.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The lady I talked to Said she has not even perched from what they saw.
:sad4:That's the part that tugs my heart the most. If after you get her you realize she can't perch for some reason, that's different & you'll give her so many other options. At least they gave her a towel to stand on. They may not be as knowledgeable about avian enrichment as you, but it's nice to see that they do care. :)

I wonder if having your boys to follow around might perk her up? I had a blind goldfish who mostly stayed in one place, but when I got another goldfish, the first one would follow him around the tank. They were always together. :fish2:

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
:sad4:That's the part that tugs my heart the most. If after you get her you realize she can't perch for some reason, that's different & you'll give her so many other options. At least they gave her a towel to stand on. They may not be as knowledgeable about avian enrichment as you, but it's nice to see that they do care. :)
Exactly:(:heart: She Said she had been sitting in ther corner for weeks, not even perched and I was ready to jump on the earliest train to go and get her. Poor sweet baby, I don’t think I can even refuse her still and in my heart I have basically adopted her already:o: I know what cage I Will likely get her, Nice platform perches with fleece, o so Many ideas for this little girl to make her happy:heart: I know her age actually as she has a leg band, she was hatched in 2012 which makes her around 6 years old. Same ahw as Henkie!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wow, she's not very old to have such bad eyesight. Do they know why?

Harley was about that age when she came to us & we suspect vitamin/mineral deficiencies from her chronic egg laying may be to blame for her poor vision. Her previous owners took out any spot to lay eggs except her bowl and told us to do the same to discourage laying. We didn't know better at the time so we did. She laid egg after egg in her food bowl & they all fell out & cracked so she kept laying to replace them. She was almost egg-bound and we were panicking. :( I ended up pulling out a (clean) rat hammock we'd had in storage & hung that in her cage and we ordered a breeder supplement to sprinkle on her food. She laid a few more eggs in the hammock and sat on them for several weeks. We were so relieved that she'd finally stopped laying. Thanks to the supplement and letting her sit on her eggs, she stands up straighter like a healthy green cheek and I swear she can see a little better, or is at least has the energy to be more reactive to lights. :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Dang.
I'm going to bite all may fingernails off waiting on the outcome of this one.
We both Will!:nervous:

Wow, she's not very old to have such bad eyesight. Do they know why?

Harley was about that age when she came to us & we suspect vitamin/mineral deficiencies from her chronic egg laying may be to blame for her poor vision. Her previous owners took out any spot to lay eggs except her bowl and told us to do the same to discourage laying. We didn't know better at the time so we did. She laid egg after egg in her food bowl & they all fell out & cracked so she kept laying to replace them. She was almost egg-bound. :( I ended up pulling out a (clean) rat hammock we'd had in storage & hung that in her cage and we ordered a breeder supplement to sprinkle on her food. She laid a few more eggs in the hammock and sat on them for several weeks. We were so relieved that she'd finally stopped laying. Thanks to the supplement and letting her sit on her eggs, she stands up straighter like a healthy green cheek and I swear she can see a little better, or is at least has the energy to be more reactive to lights. :)
I never heard Harley’s whole story!:heart: So glad she is not egg laying anymore! How amazing she seems to be seeing better:wideyed: even if it just the energy, that is already promising!
They have no history on her, they found her outside so who know, she could have come from any place! They have no lead to why her sight is bad:chin: I hope with a better diet it might improve!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
So glad she is not egg laying anymore!
Oh she still lays! The difference is we swap them out for fakes so none of them ever crack & she gets to sit on them as long as she likes. :yes1: She's sat on them almost 3 months before! And she's an ornery, protective mommy when she's on them, but it gives her body time to rest and build up more nutrients. Eventually she gets bored & starts moving around the cage more, plays with toys again and wants to come out. We only have our sweet, cuddly girl back for 1-2 weeks before she starts laying again. We might not get much time with her, but she's safe and we don't worry about her anymore. :xflove:

Pro-tip: birdies with poor sight love toys they can hear. She likes the cat bell balls and bashes & throws them when she finds them. We always keep one hanging in the same spot the rest are loose in the cage. It's hanging from the upper level of their cage by an elastic string covered in a plastic straw so they can't get tangled in it. She can always find it & it comes back to her when she throws it so she can stand in one spot and it's light enough not to hurt her if it hits her. Her other favorite toy is her Half Ball. We hang it over one of her favorite perch spots & she stands under it & moves her head around to play with all of the bells. :joyful:
1124161127-1.jpg

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Three months!!!! She is one dedicated mummy! Pippin has done 2 months once with a one week break, but not three yet! Oo thank you so much for the tip! That makes a lot of sense! Hhmm how can I make her cage more ‘visible’ to her through hearing:chin:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is a Fischer's lovebird. Good luck!
Thank you!:heart: I think so too, I am not an expert on the eye rings! I can only tell a personata apart for sure, with the others I can definitly be wrong with all mutations around:rolleyes:

A little update, the regent(mentally I named him Aslan) was rehomed to his new place thursday. Settled in in the aviary and is doing well thankfully, but it was not meant to be with me!
The lovie.. oh well, what can I say? Since I saw her I have dreamt about her even:shy: I have been thinking about bringing her home a lot.. and am pretty sure I am going to try my hardest to do so! I am still giving it time, but leaning very strongly to adopting her:heart: