• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Ideas on what happened?

loveyourparrot

Meeting neighbors
Hi Guys!
I'm posting for a friend. She had two 6 month old, healthy greencheek conures that were fine this last Friday. Then Friday night they looked more tired than usual but she let them sleep. Saturday morning they were at the bottom of the cage, fluffed, & lethargic. She rushed them to the vet who gave fluids and antibiotics but they only continued to get worse. Sat night they had to be euthanized. She also has 3 cockatiels who were all fine. They did take blood work but are not doing a necropsy, not sure why. Cost maybe...So, waiting for any blood work to come back. They did some testing at the vet which came back negative for parasites.

The only new thing was a new toy and eating a small piece of fresh mango. I know there are a huge amount of areas that could be covered on what happened but any ideas?? Any diseases that you know off hand to cause a two day deathly illness? She had no odors, pans, sprays around. Both dying at the same time. The vet said maybe a metal toxicity?? Just thought I would see if I could figure anything out while waiting to see if blood-work shows anything. Thank you in advance! She was devastated.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Were the conures in the same area as the other birds? One immediately thinks of something toxic that was airborne. Sprays, candles, cooking with non-stick pans and things like that. Is the furnace in good working order? Co2?

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
The symptoms are... they were at the bottom of the cage, fluffed, and lethargic which is symptomatic of nearly every illness. By the time your friend noticed they were ill, as soo often is the case, the birds were in a dreadful state, and their condition deteriorated even more rapidly over the course of the night and the vet felt euthanizing them was the solution. Avianbiotec has a guide on some illnesses that you might like to look at....

Avianbiotech.com - Health Links

They should really consider a necropsy to determine the answer... they have other birds they need to consider. My vet performs free necropsies for existing patients. Also... the state may perform them for a small fee... NJ does.

loveyourparrot

Meeting neighbors
Were the conures in the same area as the other birds? One immediately thinks of something toxic that was airborne. Sprays, candles, cooking with non-stick pans and things like that. Is the furnace in good working order? Co2?
Yes, she checked all of those options. She was working all day, her husband ate subway, no scents in the house and they have a carbon monoxide detector. All the birds are in the same room. I spoke with her today and both of us wondered about something like listeria on the mango. They did eat it, the tiels did not. I will keep you posted on the results. Thank you for your insight. I have seen a lot of posts on FB bird groups too of people just finding their conure dead. I think this is crazy!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your friend's loss.