• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideas for cage set up

Lilyrose

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I have a 10 year old cocktail, she was found being attacked by a cat and we didn't think she would survive, yet she is a bird with 9 lives! She has a broken wing and a broken toe which means she finds it hard to get around. Although over the last ten years she has improved dramatically. Recently I noticed her cage was rusting, we live by the beach and it happens to everything.
So I upgraded her cage to a much bigger one thinking it would be fun and give her more exercise. I took all day trying to make it so she could get around it easily. She climbed up to the top and then fell down to a flat perch half way down, thank goodness. Now she's hanging in the middle of the cage and not really exploring at all. I'm beginning to think it wasn't the right choice. I was hoping for some pics and ideas from other mums with disabled feathered ones.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I do not have any experience with setting up a cage for a disabled bird - maybe some platform perches will help. Wishing you success in helping her.

At least this post will "bump" the thread and others can give you some advice and pics.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What are the cage dimensions?

I don't have any experience in setting up a special needs cage for a bird, but having set up cages for elderly and disabled rats I would limit the length of any drops to prevent falls. Birds like being as high as possible, so I would try to find a long, low cage and put it on a table so that she's up high (and therefore feels more secure) but cannot fall too far.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I have a bird that can't fly. I put a thick blanket on the grate covered by several layers of newspaper. She has lots of rope perch highways to get around on and a rope boing.

If you think the cage is too tall you can put a false bottom in with plexiglass and strap it to the cage higher up.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If you think the cage is too tall you can put a false bottom in with plexiglass and strap it to the cage higher up.
I'm trying to find the post where a member here did that. It made such fantastic storage space underneath to boot! :D

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm trying to find the post where a member here did that. It made such fantastic storage space underneath to boot! :D

I did it with Darwin's old cage using the grate. That style of grate fit in the cage and didn't have a handle. He was recovering from a broken wing so I didn't want him hurting himself.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I thought there was a pic somewhere. :) Do you have one you could post?

Lilyrose

I have a bird that can't fly. I put a thick blanket on the grate covered by several layers of newspaper. She has lots of rope perch highways to get around on and a rope boing.

Lilyrose

Thanks for your suggestions. I Have put a thick towel down the bottom and moved some branches. He seems to be happy and is preening and not screaming, cause he will certainly let you know if he's not happy. I just am worried he's not safe i guess life is about adventures too. So I'll just keep an eye on him. If anyone finds any pics of cage set ups, I'd be most grateful. Happy New Year! ☺