1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideas for a tiny syringe for medication?

Discussion in 'Healthy Highway' started by karen256, 3/7/18.

1. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Why wouldn't you vet give you the supplies to give the medication? Usually they do.

2. karen256

karen256 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

The vet provided the usually small 1 cc syringes but the tip is still really hard to get into a little budgie beak.
    Plus the antibiotic is in this horrible, sticky raspberry flavoring that hardens like glue into his feathers if he manages to wriggle around and I miss his beak. Smaller syringe tip just means it's a lot quicker and less messy to give him his meds.

SandraK likes this.
  3. karen256

karen256 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Well this is somewhat unrelated, but does anyone have a good idea for washing up a little budgie without causing a ton of stress to him?

I can't always get all his meds in. Sometimes he turns his head, other times he will shake his head and send most of the medicine flying. In any case, I think he's getting enough into him, but he ends up with a lot of it on him as well. The antibiotics were mixed into this super-sticky raspberry syrup. It hardens and basically glues his little feathers together. Cheeky does her best to try to clean him up, she really tries (to the point where it looks like it must be painful, but the little budgie doesn't mind - he just loves that she's paying attention to him) but she can't make much headway. Today, she spent almost an hour trying to preen him, and I figured a bath after that might help - but it didn't. All it did was apparently distribute the syrup more evenly, instead of just around his face, so now his feathers are a matted up mess everywhere. And he constantly smells like raspberry syrup.
    I think the only way to clean him up would be to forcibly bathe him, so that his body is actually submerged, but that would be too stressful. I've just been sticking to encouraging voluntary bathing, but that just doesn't seem to be enough. He is the most pathetic looking little bird, I just feel so terrible for him.

4. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Sadie
    When Sherbie was being a pill about taking her meds, I would just do little bits at a time. She eventually gave up and just let me give her half the dose at a time. She did end up with a bit of goo on her sometimes. She only bathes once a week. Sometimes I could wrap her up and give her a wad of paper towel to chew on while I wipe her face with a wet paper towel.

5. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    A warm damp washcloth wipe-off right after he's been medicated?

Peachfaced likes this.
  6. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

laurie
    agree with @SandraK warm wet washcloth right after meds are given.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)