• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideal Diet?

Lydia Deetz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I am not getting a parrotlet any time soon as I am going to college in the fall, but as soon as I’m able to own and support one, I intend to adopt from a breeder that’s a friend of the family. That being said, What’s the ideal percentage of fruit, vegetables, sprouted grains, sprouted seeds, and high-quality pellets? I want to get my research in and make sure I know what I’m doing well in advance.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd say, the easiest is to ask that breeder you know... Then you will give your bird what he/she has been used to from the start.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
There has been some suggestion that pellets should not be fed to parrotlets with colour mutations. I would ask the breeder what has worked for him or her.
I don't feed pellet. I make a salad everyday of fresh fruit, vegetables and sprouted grains. I also offer linseed in moderation, quinoa and a high quality seed mix .I offer all the fresh stuff in the am. 1st meal of the day. I offer seed around 1pm or 2. My birds go to bed around 6-7pm and wake up at 6am for salad. They aren't morning birds. I am usually up before them at 5. I care for my other birds, make their salad and wake them up by opening to blinds and offering yum yums.

I have fed pellets to my cockatoo. But do your research for parrotlets. They really love berries and rich greens like bok choy.