• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideal cage for a Parrotlet?

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Ok, I will do what I can do....thats all I can do.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I had budgies years ago...maybe 30 years. They were always sweet as I recall. Tweety and sweety. Great little birds that made the trip with the family to visit my mom every christmas. Since this birds is male, do you suggest male or female friend?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
this is a french website sorry im french .........the space between the bars is 1 cm which is suitable i think, in inches its 0.393 can you find this type of flight cage where you live ?

Cage ZOLIA CONURA pour perruches et petits perroquets - Cage perroquet
What do you think of this cage similar to the one on the french site. Id 1/2 spacing too large?
Amazon.com : Large Wrought Iron Flight Canary Parakeet Cockatiel Lovebird Finch Cage With Removable Stand #15 Black Bird Cage, 32-Inc : Parrot Cages : Pet Supplies

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I had budgies years ago...maybe 30 years. They were always sweet as I recall. Tweety and sweety. Great little birds that made the trip with the family to visit my mom every christmas. Since this birds is male, do you suggest male or female friend?
Personally I would get a mature male. Best chance of getting along.

I imagine the cage is better. But a band aid is a band aid.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Thats about all can do from my end JL.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
1/2 in should be ok for a parrolet as its ok for an english budgie but I don;t kow about a budgie.

Hope the living situation works out...

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I agree with JL the problem here isn't the cage size it is the lack of interaction and time for the bird.
I have posted this video before but I will share again. I had a conure and he was lonely so I got him a budgie. I started with separate cages, but they were out often and the conure's cage had a playtop, they always ended up together on the playtop and bonded very well. After about 2 months they chose to be in the same cage. Always climbing into the cage together at dusk and perching. They were fine together for many years.

Hope

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hope
We have our parrotlet in a A&E medium elegant flight cage. 32x21. He uses every inch! :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So what happened with this situation, @janicedyh ? I recently moved my parrotlet, who had a smaller cage but the cage door open all the time, into an HQ cage like the link listed above. He LOVES the bigger cage.

I struggle with whether to give him a friend, but he interacts with the others birds quite a bit.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
The only thing I could do is give my (and all of your) recommendations. From what I hear they are still looking for the "best" cage. He is wearing a collar for plucking and while the feathers have grown back when the collar is removed he still plucks them out.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Have they had medical issues ruled out for the plucking?

That said, I am all in favor of flight cages for parrotlets, they're so active they need all the space they can get!

Grace

Meeting neighbors
A bigger cage alows more space for toys and some flight. I think the size of the cage has an enormous amount of influence on how happy your plet will be. And the risk of adding another bird is that plets are notoriuosly difficult to pair off and have a tendency to kill potential mates. I would recommend a check up with an avian vet to rule out any medical causes for the plucking, improve the diet if needed and provide plenty of foraging and chew toys.