• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideal cage for a Parrotlet?

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I am trying to help someone find the best size cage for their adult parrotlet. The current cage is tall but only 18 inches wide. I had read that is the minimum but since this little guy is home alone while his person is at work I know he needs something bigger. I have looked at flight cages online for her but everything I find seems to have the incorrect bar spacing. This person is on a budget so cost is important. I would appreciate those with experience helping with this. Oh, the little guy has started to pluck, I may be wrong but I was thinking if he had a bigger cage (not one he feels lost in) and some good shredding toys it may help keep this from being a habit

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm not the right guy to ask about cages because none of my little birds live in cages. The only time they go into a cage at bedtime. I Will address your friends problem on the whole.

A solitary Bird is a lonely Bird. Always will be. A small cage just amplifies stress and anxiety more than normal to the breaking point ( The plucking )

Parrotlets, like budgies and cockatiels and many other small birds are truly flock birds. They need others of their own kind or similar for companionship. This bird is left alone. It needs a companion.

The Bird does not need a bigger cage. What it needs is an "area" that contains its cage as a home base.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I understand, my guys don't really live in their cages either. I do have them in at night and if I go out. This isn't possible for this birdie. I am hesitant to suggest bringing in a "friend" for the bird because we know that doesn't always work out and then you have 2 times the issue. The reason I asked you was because I thought I recalled you having a Parrotlet and I am totally unfamiliar. Generally speaking, are they very accepting of bring in another adult Parrotlet? Same sex or opposite?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Any parrotlet people with input on cage size?

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
what about HQ flight cage ? their not that expencive and they seem to have plenty of room for them :handup::handup:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
What size? The one I am looking at don't have the right spacing for such tiny bird

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
i think it is thill okay but parrotlet are so small i would prefer if a lovebird, linnie, budgie or parrotlet owner with a similar cage to give their opinion because the cage you are looking at looks good from far but there is no close of or the bar spacing

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I understand, my guys don't really live in their cages either. I do have them in at night and if I go out. This isn't possible for this birdie. I am hesitant to suggest bringing in a "friend" for the bird because we know that doesn't always work out and then you have 2 times the issue. The reason I asked you was because I thought I recalled you having a Parrotlet and I am totally unfamiliar. Generally speaking, are they very accepting of bring in another adult Parrotlet? Same sex or opposite?
What size? The one I am looking at don't have the right spacing for such tiny bird

Companions do not start out in the same cage but there is only one way to make a companion. And that is to get to know one.

A slightly larger cage isn't going to make any difference to this bird. It's only a slightly bigger "box". This bird must spend hours a day sitting waiting for its owner with nothing to do. Toys are just stuff. What they need is fellowship and interaction. It is not any harder to look after two birds then it is one. It's actually easier because they help look after each other relieving you of some of that responsibility.

When you say she can't give this bird any space. That's hogwash. She lives somewhere. Some of that space must now be dedicated for the bird. Why? Because she wanted the bird and that's what the bird needs. Birds must fly. This bird doesn't get to fly.

It me may get out of the cage when she's home and fly, but what about the endless hours of being alone and not being able to fly. That is where the problem lies.

If the bird must live in a cage then it must be the absolutely biggest cage one can find or build something suitable (indoor aviary).

Last edited:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I understand. I do know the bird is out of the cage in the evening and that is not enough sense he is in the cage all day. I have spent a large portion of the day looking online for cages and available birds. Specifically adult birds. This bird is just over a year old, I would imagine getting a baby would not be wise. Hopefully I can be of some help and guidance although I am really ignorant about this species. Parrotlets seem to big little balls of energy

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
i understand also what has been said and agree, but exept if she gives up the bird to someone that can spend more time with the only option is to fight a nice big roomy cage and it is very hard to find big cages with small bar spacing ... I think that it is already a big step that janicedyh is trying to guide and give good advice to the parrotlet owner

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I understand. I do know the bird is out of the cage in the evening and that is not enough sense he is in the cage all day. I have spent a large portion of the day looking online for cages and available birds. Specifically adult birds. This bird is just over a year old, I would imagine getting a baby would not be wise. Hopefully I can be of some help and guidance although I am really ignorant about this species. Parrotlets seem to big little balls of energy
Parrotlets are a feisty little species. They act very similar to and seem to get along quite well with budgies. Parrotlets are also very bird-bird. Meaning they bond with other birds much easier than with humans. If there is only one other bird in the parrotlets world I would bet hard earned money that he would try to make friends very quickly. Male budgies (with a male parrotlet) have the most similar behaviour.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I think that it is already a big step that janicedyh is trying to guide and give good advice to the parrotlet owner
Absolutely. Very admirable. :hug8:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Cute guys. But, you would not put those together in the same cage would you?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I really don't like the risk of bringing in another bird to help fix another birds issue but seems a large cage and new friend might be the only answer.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cute guys. But, you would not put those together in the same cage would you?
They've lived together for years. Both times.

You can't just put any two birds in a cage no matter what they are. This is something that "develops" just like a human relationship. No matter whether they ever share a cage they benefit from just being in each others company.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I really don't like the risk
What is the risk? They will get along (especially given the time). They are "flock" species. These are parrotlets and budgies we are talking about. Not cockatoos/macaws/amazons.