• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideal Budgie Set-Up...

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
The budgie found at work last week is doing really well! Still deciding on a name...He has become much more vocal and is exploring his cage. He has a variety of toys he is exploring...small bells, shreddables. He loves mahogany pod slices and starting to nibble on the balsa. His cage is small - about 18 x 24. I have read through threads in this section and the "good, bad, ugly" No luck in finding his owner...but he has a forever home with me. :) I often thought about adding budgies to my flock in the past. This little guy is sooo charming and adorable and I am enjoying his company. :xflove:

So many suggest having more than one budgie and I think he would be happy with a friend. So...I would like to get him one! But a larger cage is a must - another flight cage. Asking for help in setting up the cage for the budgies - hope they get along. So what do budgies like? do they like some type of hut or jolly ball - someplace to hide? Ladders? boings? He does have a swing in the cage that I made for him -but I don't see him on it much. he seems to sleep in odd positions...on top - (not in) the fleece ring swing with one foot on the top of the swing and the other foot grasping the cage bar or his AS toy :joyful:

Also - how to introduce another budgie? Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
:budgie6::budgie4::budgie3::budgie2::budgie2:
The budgie found at work last week is doing really well! Still deciding on a name...He has become much more vocal and is exploring his cage. He has a variety of toys he is exploring...small bells, shreddables. He loves mahogany pod slices and starting to nibble on the balsa. His cage is small - about 18 x 24. I have read through threads in this section and the "good, bad, ugly" No luck in finding his owner...but he has a forever home with me. :) I often thought about adding budgies to my flock in the past. This little guy is sooo charming and adorable and I am enjoying his company. :xflove:

So many suggest having more than one budgie and I think he would be happy with a friend. So...I would like to get him one! But a larger cage is a must - another flight cage. Asking for help in setting up the cage for the budgies - hope they get along. So what do budgies like? do they like some type of hut or jolly ball - someplace to hide? Ladders? boings? He does have a swing in the cage that I made for him -but I don't see him on it much. he seems to sleep in odd positions...on top - (not in) the fleece ring swing with one foot on the top of the swing and the other foot grasping the cage bar or his AS toy :joyful:

Also - how to introduce another budgie? Thanks!

The budgies I help a neighbor care for like these toys:

Amazon.com : FeatherSmart MINI Bungee Boing Twister : Pet Supplies
(I'd watch them around the strings though, just to be safe)

Amazon.com : Wesco Pet Mini Bird Kabob Shreddable Bird Toy : Pet Supplies

They really love shredding toys too!!! :D

:budgie9::budgie::budgie7::budgie5::pbbudgie::budgie10::budgieyf::yfbudgie:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My boys love anything they can chew or shred. They like the toys with vines. Laura made a toy for them with a plastic bread basket thing. She put lots of chewie things attached to it. Also a few strips of fleece. I will sometimes put a millet spray in it. The plastic basket is attached to the cage with a zip tie. I made a toy they are crazy about. Used some broken pieces of vine and hung with it a small unwaxed paper cup and a short straw and those Chinese finger things. Both budgies played with that a long time. Both also like their mirror. Some members don't like to give birds mirrors but my two love them. Think out of the box so to speak with budgie toys.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My boys love all of those things! They are such busy bodies! I have three boys now - one was found outside, one I "rescued," and my boy Sky who I purchased for my first budgie Pip (RIP).

Pip was my first parakeet and I waited to buy a second. Pip was also found outside. I will forever regret waiting to buy him a friend. The difference in him with a buddy was amazing. He suddenly became so active and was clearly happy-actually jubilant. Pip and Sky were best buddies. I will always miss Pip.

They love swings, boings, interactive toys and especially balsa. They hop around their cage from toy to toy, chasing each other, just exuberant active little things. They fly also, even though the cage is only 5 ft. Long. They are a real joy to watch.

Here's some pics of my cage (double flight cage, HQ - they use EVERY inch of it!). The second to last pic makes me sad because Sky was sick (but he is all better now!):
IMG_1197.JPG IMG_3781.JPG IMG_1137.JPG IMG_3738.JPG IMG_3764.JPG