• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideal (and safe) bird to have with Lovebird?

SEMO

Moving in
my peach faced lovie Joey is starting to settle in now. However, he's a highly social little guy and gives me royal hell (by screaming in my ear no less) if I leave him alone even for an hour. So, I've I've been considering adopting another bird into the house so he has another companion to squawk with all day while I'm gone.

I've been told it's best not to get another lovebird as he will remain closely bonded with me as a single lovie. In your opinion, what is another bird that might be good to house with a lovebird? I have no plans to keep them in the same cage for obvious reasons, but just in the same house. I've considered a Quaker parrot given their boisterous and playful personality is on par with a lovebird's, but considering I'm a novice bird owner I'm worried I am not ready for a Quaker. I've also considered a cockatiel, but I'm worried about my lovie terrorizing the docile bird with his outgoing nature (my good friend has a boisterous budgie and a shy antisocial cockatiel and it works fine, however). Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Don't house any parrots WITH a lovebird.
Its dangerous especially if they don't get along.

Keeping other birds in the house in a seperate cage is likely alright as long as you understand they might not get along.

I have Budgies and Porter... and if I didn't have the Budgies porter would be a hecka a sad guy.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Another love bird will make him happy. It's the birds happiness that is more important than the human/bird relationship. My two budgies are so happy together, much more that I could bond with one or the other. You will enjoy the two birds even more when there are two of them.

I don't think lovebirds will get along with any other species.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Get another lovebird. If you keep working with both of them and interacting with them, it won't change how bonded they are to you. You will have less issues / less risk around getting them to interact and potentially having them together in a cage if they get along well enough. You must be sure to practice quarantine and introduce them slowly. Keep them caged separate until you are absolutely sure they get along. I would also suggest another male.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Another lovebird.
And I say that because lovebirds are tricky in that they don't usually get along with other species. They injure and bully smaller and more docile birds and attempt to do the same to larger birds. Or in their desperation to seek out a friend annoy larger birds into biting them often with fatal consequences. A bird that is commonly cage territorial, like a quaker, would be a bad fit IMO. Lovebirds just do not seem to understand they are small and hyperactive.

Just keep interacting with them, take it slow and patiently and you can bond with both of them! They might want to spend time with each other, yeah, but that's good.

I have a single lovebird and not getting her a friend before she became overly bird aggressive is my regret. I make it work the best I can but even when I spend 3-4 hours a day with her and extra time on activities for when I'm away I can never replace another a bird. One of the hardest things lately, I can't help her on "her level" as she gets older and needs more and more help. Another bird could help her preen better now that she's too arthritic to reach her back, I try but I have huge lummox fingers that pinch and pull too hard. Another bird could help guide her when I'm away as she goes blind, and keep her company when she's less active.