• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Idea on How to Keep Birds From Flying Out a Door

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I plan on keeping the cockatiel I get, along any other birds I get in the future fully flighted. I know this comes with risks, as I have heard so many tragic stories. I'm sure many of you have too about birds who flew out a window or door.
Of course, non-flighted birds can get loose too, so I thought of an idea on how to keep our flighted and non-flighted feathered companions safer. I think using door and window alarms could be the answer (or at least on the road to one). I found these door alarms on Amazon, and will be getting several for my new addition. You can use them for windows as well.

This way you won't have to worry about someone in your house forgetting that the bird is out when they go to open the door. It should go off quickly, so you can close the door (or window) fast enough. I hope this helps some of you who were worried about losing your birds. Also, you can turn these alarms on and off, so they won't have to be on every time you plan on leaving your home when your bird is not out. I would only recommend turning them off if you're 100% sure you'll remember to turn them back on, of course. :)

Edited: Updated link (wasn't working before).

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Those look like a good reminder to hurry up and shut the door.

I'm considering a version of those old beaded curtains to keep Luv Bug from flying out if she ever gets the chance. Hubby dislikes those but I know he'd hate to lose his heart bird even more. If anyone is any ideas for a less hippie-esque version I might be able to talk him into letting me put one up.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your best option is to create a "double entry" on any outside door. That way there is never direct access to outside. The alarms may help but if the door opens to the outside the risk will always be there. You need to restrict any access to those doors whatsoever without a double entry.

That cockatiel will flap and fly through that opening in half a second. An alarm won't do fart.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use a magnetic mosquito net for my bedroom doorway. It's strong enough to keep Java from flying through it. I think I paid $20 for it and it has kept him from flying out of the room and into the bathroom or kitchen.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have six tiels...and they are fully flighted and allowed out of cage time to fly. I live alone and I am very careful of them being out. I f I have company or visitors I always keep them caged. I understand the concept of a door alarm but I know that my tiels especially if they are out of their cages are very easily startled and afraid of sudden loud noises. Even the sound of a phone ringing scares them when they are out of their cages. When they are in their cages, they tolerate loud and sudden noises much better. For me and my tiels - I would be afraid that the alarm sounds would cause my birds to suddenly want to get away and cause them to fly into walls, windows, etc.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@CeciliaZ That's true about the alarm sounds. I certainly wouldn't want my bird getting startled either. Maybe there are alarms with adjustable volume out there to prevent them from getting startled.

Also, a double entry does sound like something to consider for sure. Anything that helps add to their safety is worth doing in my book.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
To prevent an alarm from frightening your bird, I found this one. It lets you adjust not only the volume, but also the tone of the alarm.

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I looked up the magnetic mosquito screens & they look like a possibility. Do they attach to the doorway or could you put it in a hallway? I'd like to have it several feet back from the door to make a double entry as John mentioned. Sometimes the door is open a bit too long for my liking when we bring in groceries or take the dogs down.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok there are certain rooms I do not my two in, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. I use flat sheets hung on either expandable shower rod for a short doorway or a wider doorway cord strung thru top of the sheet and cup hooks drilled into the ceiling & walls. Also old fashioned curling ribbon hung from ceiling on string works well too. I can take pictures if you want.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I looked up the magnetic mosquito screens & they look like a possibility. Do they attach to the doorway or could you put it in a hallway? I'd like to have it several feet back from the door to make a double entry as John mentioned. Sometimes the door is open a bit too long for my liking when we bring in groceries or take the dogs down.
They attach with tacks. I have them on the outside of my door but it could very well be placed in the middle of the hall provided you get the right width.
20181228_094443.jpg 20181228_094454.jpg
You could very well make a false doorway by placing the netting where you need it, just make sure you measure correctly

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thanks Brittany! He might be open to that. Plus we do get the occasional mosquito even though we're on the 2nd floor. That might help me sell it, too. :tup:
Also old fashioned curling ribbon hung from ceiling on string works well too.
Haha! I thought about ribbon after seeing @aooratrix's post about macaw proofing his Christmas tree, but I thought hubby might like that idea less than the beaded curtain. :D

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have nothing as a door barrier, save vigilance. If I have a visitor, I answer the door with one eye on the birds. I am VERY careful and mindful of where the birds are, if out of their cages.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I have nothing as a door barrier, save vigilance. If I have a visitor, I answer the door with one eye on the birds. I am VERY careful and mindful of where the birds are, if out of their cages.

Probably works okay with med/large birds like amazons and macaws. I 100% would not trust this approach with a small, agile bird like a cockatiel/quaker/ringneck. They can turn on a dime and be around you and out an open door or window in the blink of an eye.

No unscreened windows in the house, and no open doors while the birds are out. Visitors have to talk through the storm door or wait for the birds to be closed up in their cages/room before doors are opened.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I 100% would not trust this approach with a small, agile bird like a cockatiel/quaker/ringneck. They can turn on a dime and be around you and out an open door or window in the blink of an eye.
That's why I want something in the hall to stop her. Luv Bug is an unbelievably gifted flier.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
That's why I want something in the hall to stop her. Luv Bug is an unbelievably gifted flier.

You can look into something like a bead curtain or birdsavers. I use birdsavers on my sliding glass doors and have had pretty good success with them. They're basically parachute cord dangling about 4" apart, and birds think it's something they can't fly through. It might be a bit more manageable for a hallway than, say, solid curtains or a mosquito net.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Yeah, I'm going to get some of that mosquito netting or birdsavers that were suggested for added protection. I really like those suggestions, along with trying to put her in the bedroom until I answer the door and close it. I'll just let my visitors know ahead of time that it may take me a bit to let them in because of that. With UPS, USPS, etc., they can just leave packages outside the door since I don't want to freak my bird out by trying to get her into the bedroom quickly.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We lost Lurch because he was on top of his cage snoozing when sister came home with groceries. She checked and he was asleep so she figured she could sneak in with a load of groceries and he woke up and flew to her and out the open door. Since then we put up the magnetic screen door everyone is talking about. Not perfect but a deterrent to just flying straight out a open door. I'm pretty sure if Dobby flew into it he'd pop it open but he also might see it and stop or get caught up in the screen long enough to scoop him up. I agree with the double door setup as it's the only way to make sure a determined flighted bird doesn't zip out a open door. I figured the screen is cheap and easy and better than nothing but definitely considering if there is any way to add a double door setup to my main door without looking horrible. Only other way is making sure bird is safely in his house or in a safe room with the door closed when folks are running in and out, which we do if we know someone wants to come in as it's easier than stuffing a kicking and screaming Dobby in his house when he doesn't want to.