• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Would Love to Adopt a Bird...

RainbowScooter

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Scooter
Hello!

I recently joined this site in hopes of getting some advice on how to become a serious bird owner.

I have had parakeets before as a young child, but my parents did most of the caretaking. Now, my family is not the most animal-friendly home... my mom can tolerate birds since her mother was an avid avian lover, but she would rather the feathered friends live outside and didn't handle our parakeets all that much. Unfortunately, our parakeets never had the best lives and often passed away way too early.

Later, as a young teen, I begged my parents for birds. We got a pair of parakeets from a local pet shop (not the best place, but I was beyond thrilled to finally have birds of my own), and the birds were living a pretty good life even under the agreement that they would spend some of their time in a cage outside. I would bring them in and handle them almost every day, and I would give them toys and treats to keep them busy. This did not last for long... My sister, reenacting a scene from a movie, accidentally knocked the cage over and my birds flew away...

Now, I'm a college student, a recent high school graduate, and I want to finally firmly start being a serious bird owner. It may take long to have the conditions I need to bring my new companion home, but I want to start my research now. I don't plan on bringing a bird home anytime soon since I want to get a home of my own, so I can live with my companion under my own rules, mostly the bird being inside rather than out.

I'm wondering what's the best bird for a seasoned pet owner, sort of experienced bird owner? What should I look for when picking a bird out? Where would be the best places to get a bird? What are the basic things I need to have before bringing a bird home?

I mentioned having parakeets most of my life, but I don't think those little guys are what I'm looking for. I would love to have a bird in the more medium size-range who will be more tolerant of people and love to be handled. I would love to be able to bring my bird around to some places with me without being worried about stressing her out. A more playful bird would be amazing, and a bird that can be a little vocal would be ok in my book.

Thank you all in advance!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
A great way to bide your time until you're ready to bring a bird home would be to volunteer at a rescue or shelter. That would also have the added benefit of letting you meet a few different species and find out which personalities, needs and voices are most compatible with your own. :) Plus they can always use the help!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome to the avenue!
I agree with what @faislaq said:)
Plus, you might fall in love with one of the birds there! Having a connection with an individual Will be best I think because the personalities in species of birds range very much:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As already said, the best way to know what type of bird is right for you is to spend time with different birds. If there are any rescues near you, you can look into fostering too. That let's you have experience with different types of birds without committing to one until you're ready.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
As already said, the best way to know what type of bird is right for you is to spend time with different birds. If there are any rescues near you, you can look into fostering too. That let's you have experience with different types of birds without committing to one until you're ready.
Oooh, I didn't think about fostering. What a neat idea. That'd be excellent experience.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
A great way to bide your time until you're ready to bring a bird home would be to volunteer at a rescue or shelter. That would also have the added benefit of letting you meet a few different species and find out which personalities, needs and voices are most compatible with your own. :) Plus they can always use the help!

A great suggestion. Also don't let size be the primary factor as any size bird from budgie to macaw can be trained, bonded and socialized. All bites hurt regardless of the size of the bird and all of them can draw blood!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I'm wondering what's the best bird for a seasoned pet owner, sort of experienced bird owner? What should I look for when picking a bird out? Where would be the best places to get a bird? What are the basic things I need to have before bringing a bird home?

I really enjoyed your refreshing post. We love people that want to adopt rather than make a purchase. We have several members who are affiliated with bird rescues and will most likely chime in. Our re home forum has the names of some rescues also. Every once in a while someone posts in that forum looking for a good home. Welcome to AA.

Rehome Highway | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Honestly, you can't go wrong by volunteering your time somewhere. Certain species have certain traits, but that doesn't mean every bird will fit the norm. Shelters are great, because you get a feel for the individual bird and a general look at the species and what life may be like with them.

There's nothing wrong with buying a bird, either, but I'd avoid all but the very best pet stores, unless you're up for a real challenge. Birds from most pet shops tend to not be the healthiest and often do lack socialization. They are all wonderful and deserving of homes, but not everyone is up for the emotional/monetary stress and time required to help these birds, and that's okay!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, please look into rescue and being a foster. Good fosters are always needed and a foster failure is a good thing too!