• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wish I could have done something

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
Yesterday, at around noon, I found a fledgling crow in the shade behind our house. He seemed healthy, and alert, but he was sitting just outside the fence. There are plenty of coyotes in our area, so I thought I would do the little guy a favor and move him into the fenced area so he could learn to fly in a safe area. He flapped and tried to get away when i picked him up, just as I thought a healthy young crow should, but he felt a little skinny. After that, I left him alone to soon go on his merry way. At around 6 PM, it suddenly started raining. I went outside to see if he was still there, and I found him soaked in my garden a few feet away from where I had placed him that afternoon. The crow parents had already gone away for the evening, so I let my parental instinct take over and I brought him inside for the night. He rested in a cardboard box until this morning, and I took him back outside to send him on his way. When I set him down, I realized how prominent his keelbone felt. I put him back in the garden, and the parent crows were yelling at me so I left. I came back in the afternoon to see his progress and I found him in the exact same spot that I left him in. I left some soaked cat food on a dish in hopes that he might eat it. I came back at six to see how he was doing, and he was laying on the ground. I picked him up and he was still alive, but at that point I knew he was not going to make it. I sat him on a cushion in the garden, and we listened to the evening birds sing and the crickets chirp as I watched the most beautiful sunset I have ever gotten to see. He was gone before the sun disappeared, and it was very peaceful. I wish I was able to do more, but sometimes nature has to run it's course. I feel that he needs a name, even if he was going to be a wild bird, so I call him Norr. That was going to be the name I gave the next bird i brought into my flock, but it suits him. Rest in peace Norr, you now fly in our hearts.

Attachments

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Rest In Peace Norr

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh that is such a hard position to be in. Thank you for being kind to Norr.

I am sure his parents did the best they could. It is difficult out there to care for such a little one and protect and feed yourself. :( Best of luck to Norr's parents. I am sure they are also very heartbroken. Did you allow them to say goodbye to their chick?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you were there for him. Sorry that he didn't make it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you for trying to help him, and it was nice that you were there for him in the end. I’m sorry he didn’t make it.:( Fly high little Norr.:sorrow:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You did a wonderful job...sometimes it's just not meant to be.

Wings Forever High, Norr...

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Poor little guy. Thank you so much for helping him.

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
Oh that is such a hard position to be in. Thank you for being kind to Norr.

I am sure his parents did the best they could. It is difficult out there to care for such a little one and protect and feed yourself. :( Best of luck to Norr's parents. I am sure they are also very heartbroken. Did you allow them to say goodbye to their chick?
I did, I left his body out for them to see the truth. After they found out, they stopped shouting at me when I come into the garden. Crows are truly one of the most intelligent kinds of animals. Now he rests in the garden forevermore.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I did, I left his body out for them to see the truth. After they found out, they stopped shouting at me when I come into the garden. Crows are truly one of the most intelligent kinds of animals. Now he rests in the garden forevermore.
Thank you. I appreciate that in addition to trying to help the little one. Birds need to mourn. :sadhug2:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My buddy and I several years ago found two baby crows in his backyard. They both were very weak and mom and dad were watching over them. I wasn't home so we had some pop on hand and I figured the sugar and hydration would be good for them considering no baby bird formula available. One tasted it, started perking up, and wanted more. The other barely took any and was barely hanging on. Once we figured we did as much as we could he kept his cats in and let them be. The perky one got stronger and parents were feeding and teaching him to fly. The other was gone by the next day. Was sad but one little bird got to grow up a happy crow so was good at the same time.
You did the best you could and he knew he was safe and loved to the end.