• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wanted to share this little thing I made...

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
It was a total experiment and I'm really digging how these "beach" coasters turned out. It's hard to tell how sparkly and pretty they are by the photo, though.

Photos-for-site-beach-coaster.png

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Love it! Also looks like quartz, too :xflove:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
They're gorgeous! I'm so envious of your talents. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Awesome creation. Add some small stones here and there. No dont listen to me. I just use pencils!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
They're gorgeous! I'm so envious of your talents. :)
I love your work! You would've turned the other way if you'd seen the process of these being made. There were more than a few expletives after I took the heat gun to it to spread it around. It was a lot messier than I had prepared for, but hey, it worked out in the end.

Awesome creation. Add some small stones here and there. No dont listen to me. I just use pencils!
Oh I totally would have done that if this had been a wall hanging! That would've been awesome. :) But these are coasters, so the bumps from the shells would make a cup sit unevenly. I really wanted to add shells, though!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Very cool! Do tell how you made them!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They´re cool. They look just like waves :)

But these are coasters, so the bumps from the shells would make a cup sit unevenly. I really wanted to add shells, though!!
You could make a thicker coaster. So either some sort of shadow box type of thing, or filled with acrylic... Some shells are quite small so it wouldn´t have to be ridiculously thick.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Very cool! Do tell how you made them!
Step one was to coat all four acrylic coasters in a thin layer of epoxy and sprinkle on glitter for the base. I let that dry for about 8 hours. Step two was to lay on another thin layer of epoxy, and then mix up a pot of each color (epoxy + a couple of drops of acrylic paint) ; one white, one teal, one dark blue. Pour in the darkest color close to the "back", then pour in the teal. Mix gently with gloved fingers and hit with a heat gun. Carefully drizzle white across, strategically hitting with a heat gun after. Prepare for a mess. :rofl: Run a bbq lighter across the epoxy to pop the bubbles. Allow to cure. Next day, sand down any rough spots and apply a final thin coat to make it smooth as glass.

They´re cool. They look just like waves :)

You could make a thicker coaster. So either some sort of shadow box type of thing, or filled with acrylic... Some shells are quite small so it wouldn´t have to be ridiculously thick.
I could! I'd probably use a silicone coaster mold for that, so I can do thin layers at a time and allow the epoxy to cure properly.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Step one was to coat all four acrylic coasters in a thin layer of epoxy and sprinkle on glitter for the base. I let that dry for about 8 hours. Step two was to lay on another thin layer of epoxy, and then mix up a pot of each color (epoxy + a couple of drops of acrylic paint) ; one white, one teal, one dark blue. Pour in the darkest color close to the "back", then pour in the teal. Mix gently with gloved fingers and hit with a heat gun. Carefully drizzle white across, strategically hitting with a heat gun after. Prepare for a mess. :rofl: Run a bbq lighter across the epoxy to pop the bubbles. Allow to cure. Next day, sand down any rough spots and apply a final thin coat to make it smooth as glass.

I could! I'd probably use a silicone coaster mold for that, so I can do thin layers at a time and allow the epoxy to cure properly.
Ok.... I no longer want to do that! :laugh: Thanks for the info! I'll leave that creative marvel up to you!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Ok.... I no longer want to do that! :laugh: Thanks for the info! I'll leave that creative marvel up to you!
It's not bad if you know what you're in for. I felt pretty confident because I already tried this technique on something smaller and even more fiddly - my new earbud holder.

20190624_143709.jpg

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful work Sadie!

The heartbreaking pain of art, but it's got to be heartbreaking to end w/ such pretty results!