• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I want to build my own beautiful birdcage. HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugtato

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Anna
Hi everyone, I just joined this site due to my interest in parrots, however, I know myself. I need to prove to myself that I am honestly committed to buying, caring for, and living with a bird with a lifespan of up to 40 years. Hence, I have decided that I wish to build my own cage from scratch. If I can complete the undertaking and still feel the same passion for the birds that I have now, what should be months of work, then I know I am ready for my own feather baby. However, if I don't then I have saved myself and a bird grief and I can simply sell the cage to recoup some of the loss. I have built basic structures in the past, and have basic construction knowledge. I would love this cage to be a work of art, something beautiful in and of itself, a piece which would add to my home and not detract from it. I am thinking of using wrought iron and dark woods, with brass furnishings (locks, latches, etc...). Money is a concern, but not a great concern as I would spread the construction out over a period of about 6 months. I would like to keep the overall cost under $700 and build a cage large enough to house a Pinous or a Eclectus. Has anyone done something similar to this before and if so how difficult was it in comparison to how difficult you thought it would be? Are there any basic blueprints which are available? I should have a sketch of what I want to build posted soon. Any and all comments, concerns, and tips are more than welcome! :) Thanks everyone! Actually this is very close to the idea I had floating around in my head: Large bird cage and designer bird cages in Oak and Cherry Wood

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I've never done this sort of thing, however, I do know you have to be very careful about the materials you use. Stainless Steel, and to an extent Nickel Plated, are the only metals I'm aware of that are bird safe. As for woods, make sure you research whatever you plan to use to be sure it's bird safe. I'm baffled by the thought of using wood on a parrot cage seeing as they chew EVERYTHING and it seems to me that a wooden cage would not last, not to mention how difficult wood is to clean.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Agreed, brass & wrought iron unless powder coated, is not safe.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Instead of wood why not order stainless steel hollow tubing for the frame? You can order in sections precut and essentially just put your cage together after clipping the stainless steel wire panels.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
You would need to line all the wood framing with either stainless steel or powdercoated metal to prevent them from chewing the frame.

Mesh like that is very hard to keep clean (versus bars) so that's something to be aware of. The best bird cage is one that's easy to clean!

A pionus needs a cage at least 30"x22" and an eclectus about 40"x30". If you want to make the cage large enough to accomodate either, you'll have to go for the larger size.

A project like this is likely to be very expensive if done right, which you said isn't an issue, but should be said anyway. If you go with stainless steel panels instead of mesh, they would probably have to be custom made to your specs ($$$$).

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
What everyone else has said.

Oak is on the toxic woods list, and there is considerable debate as to whether cherry wood is toxic for parrots. I see that the descriptions say that the birds can't get to the wood from inside the cage. That means they're assuming that you're not going to let your bird out of the cage - all of mine enjoy climbing and playing on their cages as well as elsewhere - I can't imagine trying to keep a bird off his/her cage when out.

In addition to the fact that these cages have been constructed of wood of doubtful safety for parrots, any finish you put on wood is going to be toxic to parrots. You would need to use an untreated, safe wood, and even if you cover the entire inside portion with safe metal, they'll chew it when out, plus it will be a bear to clean.

ETA: I wanted to add that the cages in your link are designed to look good in human eyes, but they are not designed for a bird's comfort, happiness or health. They are the kind of cages that would be used by someone who wants a bird for display purposes. They are not "large" at all - my cockatiels have a bigger cage.

Last edited:

Lorylove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bridgette
Welcome to the avenue!:D
In my opinion, building a cage would be way too risky. I personally would be terrified of all of the materials I was using. It's a very tough task to find building materials that are safe for birds, and like the replies on here, wood is the WORST option for a bird cage.
If you're willing to spend a larger amount of money, why not go for a stainless steel cage instead? Expandable Habitats - Main Page <These are my dream cages. Stainless steel cages last the longest and are safest. Although they aren't as good on the eyes as the one in your link, you won't find yourself worried sick that your bird is in an unsafe environment, or find your bird perched on the couch with a demolished cage when you get home from work :eek:
Congrats on taking the first steps to parrot ownership, but instead of seeing if you're up to the task by building a cage, why not just hang out with some parrots of all species and sizes? Maybe even foster a bird. That way you can know if you're truly ready.
I hope some of this was helpful for you :hug8:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Congrats on taking the first steps to parrot ownership, but instead of seeing if you're up to the task by building a cage, why not just hang out with some parrots of all species and sizes? Maybe even foster a bird. That way you can know if you're truly ready.
Agreed. What you really need to find out is whether you're ready for the mess, the noise, the time commitment, the ongoing financial commitment (vet, toys and other enrichment, healthy foods), the idea of basically having a toddler to take care of for the next forty odd years. Building a cage will test your construction skills and patience for building, but it won't tell you much about your ability to live with a parrot long term. :)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've seen many nice furniture-style cages made of wood - the inside of the cage has to be fully lined with metal to protect against chewing. Stainless steel, powdercoated steel (the material used in most wrought iron cages), and aluminum are safe. But really, the wood is just there to look nice and would make the cage harder to clean (no just hosing the cage off for a good cleaning now and then). There are many standard powdercoated cages that look beautiful and are more practical. Look at some of the victorian top style cages - they can be very pretty. Wooden cages can be nice but will take extra effort to clean and prevent bird damage (when the bird is out), an easier to clean cage will look better and save a lot of time in the long run.
Another option, if you want something more unique, is to find an older cage that is safe and in decent condition but perhaps has some rust or chipped paint and see about getting it re-powder coated at an auto shop, so you can choose the color. I've heard of a few people doing that, though it was almost as expensive as getting a new cage. But if you want a more unusual color or find a particularly interesting cage, it might be worth it. Just be aware that some older cages may have fancy scrollwork, converging bars, or other features that may not be bird-safe.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Agreed. What you really need to find out is whether you're ready for the mess, the noise, the time commitment, the ongoing financial commitment (vet, toys and other enrichment, healthy foods), the idea of basically having a toddler to take care of for the next forty odd years. Building a cage will test your construction skills and patience for building, but it won't tell you much about your ability to live with a parrot long term. :)
That is the crux of the issue and the bottom line. "building" a cage has nothing to do with the knowledge and skill you will need to look after a parrot.

Anything you have for the husbandry of a parrot has nothing to do with "style or look". It has everything to do with functionality and safety.

Your looking at this from the wrong angle.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Hi, Anna, welcome to AA! I really like your enthusiasm, & willingness to test your commitment to 'parronthood' by building something beautiful (& complicated) for your future 'fid!' What everybody says about using wood on a cage for parrots is spot on, but that doesn't mean you can't use your creativity by building something lovely & useful for your future fid that will look great in your home! Look through all the forums on AA that deal w/building habitat & playstands--you'll find all kinds of ideas for creative projects, & building w/safe materials. A well-crafted play area w/ladders, hidey holes, swings, ropes for climbing--ideas are endless, & there are lots of pics of things members have made.
To any experienced parrot lover, there is nothing more beautiful than a well-crafted Stainless Steel parrot cage. And there's is also the fact that an easy to clean cage gets cleaned more often, resulting in happier, healthier parrots!
You could also build what would be the envy of every parront--an outdoor aviary (using parrot-safe materials, of course!)
Please DON'T curb your enthusiasm--it sounds to me that you would make a great parront!

Status
Not open for further replies.